First Bass Lure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Bass Lure

I was prowling through some old boxes in the garage recently and found a long lost treasure - my very first ever bass lure and there is a story that goes with it.

My dad ran a service station all my growing up years and I worked there after school and on weekends. One of our regular customers was a gentleman by the name of Sam Jeter.

Sam Jeter was one of my childhood heros! He was a farmer/rancher. Hard worker, witty, and strong as a bull!

Sam had a nice stock tank in one of his pastures and often let my dad and I fish there. We called it the Wolfe tank since that was the owner of the pasture Sam leased for cattle grazing.

I generally used (and often lost) lures from my dad's tackle box. Caught lots of nice bass from that tank.

Now I grew up in Olney, TX and there wasn't much avaiable in the local stores in regards to fishing gear.

Sam often went to Wichita Falls for tractor parts and what not and one day he stopped by the station on his return trip and presented me with a brand new, in the box, Heddon Tiny Lucky 13 top water lure. Even to this day I remember how excited I was to get that! My dad offered to pay Sam for the lure but he refused.

I caught many a bass from the Wolfe tank on that bait. I would love to catch another on it but I won't risk losing it. I now hangs on shelf with several other trinkets I have saved including my first fishing reel, a Zebco 66.

Thank you Sam for being my friend!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lucky 13.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	25189562

Click image for larger version

Name:	Zebco 66.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	25189563

Great story, and that lure has caught a mess o fish since it came out!

Comment

Cool find and story. This reminds me of the Quantum combo the Jerry Dean (Honey Hole)gave me. I was leaving the house on it’s first fishing trip and slam! Sean let go of the screen door snapping my new pride in half. I didn’t go fishing that day because I was so disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for sharing your story with us. Brings back memories of growing up on Sam Rayburn Lake.

Comment

I had a jitterbug topwater that same color once, not sure where it went, I always thought someone hand painted it cause it was so plain looking.
          Don’t lose it

Comment

I know how you feel. Some of my "favorite treasures" are some of the old lures my dad gave me when I was young. I can't remember where I parked at Wal-Mart but I can remember every fish I caught on those old lures.

Comment

Originally posted by KIETHSTONE View Post
              Cool find and story. This reminds me of the Quantum combo the Jerry Dean (Honey Hole)gave me. I was leaving the house on it’s first fishing trip and slam! Sean let go of the screen door snapping my new pride in half. I didn’t go fishing that day because I was so disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Jerry Dean. There is a blast from the past. Best fishing show ever. Fished many of the HH Top 6 tournaments back in the day.

Comment

Very cool find, glad you came across it! The older I get the more I find joy in those little things that bring back memories of my Dad and Grandpa who are no longer here. Good stuff!

Comment

Working...
                X