Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FFL Dealer When Selling Firearms Might be a a Good Idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by r_u_sharp_2 View Post
    The house was raided because the ATF believes the person may have been engaging in the sale of firearms for a profit... which requires an FFL.

Person to person is no big deal.. until it is regularly occuring and at a profit.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    That’s what I think too. I think it was an unlicensed gun mill, where they were buying parts and building guns to be sold at profit

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
      I need to turn some of our classifieds abusers over to the Feds. We have some folks here that saturate the forum with gun sales. Maybe that will get them to stop and add more value to the forum.
      Exactly why some forums dont allow gun sales. No way to know.. so just dont allow it.

From the article..."Authorities are seeking to determine whether the sale violated federal law, which requires that sellers register as gun dealers if they're buying and selling guns for profit and acting essentially as gun dealers."

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
        Perfect analogy!
        Yessir.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

I’d still buy a gun from the OP. If the price was half of what the gun is worth. i have a hoop jumping fee that has to be paid by these type of sellers.

Comment

Why do people sell guns to begin with? Only buy'm and never sell'm and then you have nothing to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
              Why do people sell guns to begin with? Only buy'm and never sell'm and then you have nothing to worry about.
              I told a younger friend this exact same thing earlier this week

Comment

A friend of mine was going through a divorce and she wanted to keep her deer rifle. She wasn't planning on using it but didn't want him to have it. She called me during mediation because her ex wanted it "registered in her name if she kept it". Dumbass. I assured her that's not how it works. What killed me is the lawyers involved had no idea how it worked.

She kept the gun and I sold it on TBH for her.

I agree with most on here regarding private sales. I'll do what I want.
                You need to read the the last sentence in my post above.

If you want to sell for a friend, you can do it, but you broker it. You don't post their number and say reach out to them. While the classifieds can be a huge pain in our "Texastaxi", we are adamant the deals need to be between two TBH parties. I had the gun in my possession, I delivered it to the guy and took his money. This lady (non member) was not involved one bit. Effectively, I bought the gun from her to sell on TBH, but just paid her after I sold it.
                The jury needs to know your final answer!

Comment

You need to read the the last sentence in my post above.

If you want to sell for a friend, you can do it, but you broker it. You don't post their number and say reach out to them. While the classifieds can be a huge pain in our "Texastaxi", we are adamant the deals need to be between two TBH parties. I had the gun in my possession, I delivered it to the guy and took his money. This lady (non member) was not involved one bit. Effectively, I bought the gun from her to sell on TBH, but just paid her after I sold it.
                  Loop hole in Classified rules.

Comment

I wonder if, had the seller sold legally, he would be liable for a civil suit? If so, maybe that would encourage people to use an FFL when selling to a complete stranger. I don't feel he should be criminally liable but maybe civilly. I think encouraging gun owners to police themselves is the way to go. I don't feel that we're still at a point where we (or at least I personally) can believe that selling to a complete stranger is as responsible a thing to do as it was 20 years ago. Just as it would be irresponsible to sell a plane to a bearded arab who uses the word infidel. I know that's an extreme and racist example but I also believe it's a realistic one.

Comment

Originally posted by r_u_sharp_2 View Post
                      The house was raided because the ATF believes the person may have been engaging in the sale of firearms for a profit... which requires an FFL.

Person to person is no big deal.. until it is regularly occuring and at a profit.

But how did they know who's house to raid?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
                        But how did they know who's house to raid?

Probably from running a serial number on a lower, or from testimony during the investigation

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                          Probably from running a serial number on a lower, or from testimony during the investigation
                          What I read said something about the guy in Lubbock was illegally manufacturing firearms. Maybe he was using 80% uppers and selling guns without serial numbers??

Comment

So if they find a gun/serial number they know who bought/sold it? What database do they use? I thought there was no gun registry.

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
                              I wonder if, had the seller sold legally, he would be liable for a civil suit? If so, maybe that would encourage people to use an FFL when selling to a complete stranger. I don't feel he should be criminally liable but maybe civilly. I think encouraging gun owners to police themselves is the way to go. I don't feel that we're still at a point where we (or at least I personally) can believe that selling to a complete stranger is as responsible a thing to do as it was 20 years ago. Just as it would be irresponsible to sell a plane to a bearded arab who uses the word infidel. I know that's an extreme and racist example but I also believe it's a realistic one.

What protection do you think you are afforded civilly by transferring through an FFL? You still sold the weapon to the perpetrator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I'm an FFL as well but it's really unnecessary...if you are that concerned about a person you are selling it to just going by gut feeling then yeah I can see why one would feel better seeing it get a NICS pass. Two good ole boys on the forum getting together for a transaction has happened so many times if this was a problem it would have happened. It's your right to sell however you see fit & wouldn't worry what others feel about shipping to an FFL, but suggesting this should be a tbh rule when the law allows private sales isn't gonna go over with the masses.

If the hair was standing up on the back of my neck selling a gun to a stranger, I would likely pass on the sale all together...more mass shooters have passed a NICS examination by far compared to the gun being bought off the street / straw purchase so it's clearly not fool proof.

Before I became an FFL I would trade at gun shows often & we usually just showed each other DL or CHL. I always liked to make a note of who I bought from only to help LE if the gun ever got stolen down the road & help the owner get it back. I know most go with a handshake but the ID deal worked out well for me and nobody ever had a problem with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X