Headed to Antiques Roadshow in San Antonio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Froggy View Post
    The appraiser did not say it was fake. All he said was that it did not look like most of Roseland's other works and that was not his area of expertise. Harry Roseland mainly painted African American card readers and fortune tellers. I showed him pictures of the other two paintings with the same girl in the dunes. We felt like he just blew us off. We were disappointed in his attitude.

I'm glad we went though. It was an interesting experience. We did get an appraisal on an old pocket watch from the Indian Nations. It was only worth about $100.
    He did say the canvas looked more modern but knew nothing about the StretchRpanel canvas it was painted on. I did some research and was unable to find any information on that brand. Sorry for the sideways picture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	StretchRpanel.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	24583741
    Last edited by Froggy; 06-24-2019, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Good get away if nothing else Dave!!!

Comment

So if fake...who painted them?

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
          So if fake...who painted them?
          I asked that question and why. Answer was, "who knows"?

Comment

Well, dadgummit!!!

It looks like Roseland painted several different styles.

Did you see that Oprah has one in her house?

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
              Well, dadgummit!!!

It looks like Roseland painted several different styles.

Did you see that Oprah has one in her house?
              How would any red blooded American know what Orca has in her house?

Comment

Lark Mason, one of the show's "evaluators" lives in New Braunfels. I think his specialty is Asian art.

Comment

Originally posted by zztex View Post
                  How would any red blooded American know what Orca has in her house?
                  Knowledge. Knowledge is power!

Comment

bummer

Comment

Originally posted by Froggy View Post
                      I asked that question and why. Answer was, "who knows"?
                      Were they able to determine that it definitely was "painted" and not a reproduction?

Comment

I hate to hear that report and was expecting something great. At least it was a good getaway for a trip. I hesitate to put a lot of weight into what the appraiser stated, as you mentioned it was not his area of expertise. I would reach out to MS Rau in New Orleans for input and appraisal. They have a great store and a lot of knowledge in that area. If they are not an expert on this artist, they will know who can help you.

Shop for exceptional Fine Art, Estate Jewelry and Antiques at M.S. Rau where we offer the Best of the Best.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                          Were they able to determine that it definitely was "painted" and not a reproduction?
                          They said it was not a reproduction and is an oil on canvas.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                            I hate to hear that report and was expecting something great. At least it was a good getaway for a trip. I hesitate to put a lot of weight into what the appraiser stated, as you mentioned it was not his area of expertise. I would reach out to MS Rau in New Orleans for input and appraisal. They have a great store and a lot of knowledge in that area. If they are not an expert on this artist, they will know who can help you.

https://www.rauantiques.com/
                            Thanks for the tip. I'll get in touch with them.

Comment

Working...
                            X