Long Island Buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long Island Buck

Had a rough season hunting upstate New York. Put in long hours on two different trips, each one three days in length. Passed on a nice six point my first day but I figured I had 2 more days to hunt that trip, and another 3 days of hunting (and opportunities) two weeks later on my next trip up.

Well, "another opportunity" did not come upstate. I saw deer, but nothing came in close enough or presented a decent shot.

I came home from the second trip of the season pretty disappointed. Looks like I had to face the reality that I was skunked. I hadn't been skunked in years!

So, not wanting to let it sit, I looked into hunting here in my own county. I stopped hunting here because the ticks on Long Island are beyond bad. After finding three ticks behind my right ear (and dancing around and screaming like a little girl) the last time I was hunting here, I decided I was done with hunting my tick infested (yes, the Lyme disease carrying kind of ticks) county. Additionally, we're heavily populated and you can hear and see people pretty much everywhere you hunt.

But, I decided I'd give it another try as it had been probably 5 or 6 years since I'd hunted Long Island last. And, since the choice boiled down to dealing with ticks vs. dealing with an empty freezer, I chose to deal with the nasty, disgusting, blood-sucking ticks.

Well, I'm mighty pleased with the choice to hunt Long Island one more time. This guy came in at 7:50 a.m. in a hurry. I grunted to stop him at about 22 yards out. He stopped, I aimed, and took my shot. I heard a heckuva "thwack" and he bolted. I watched him fall about fifty yards out, do a quick spin on the ground, and it was over.

Ahhh, the highs and lows of hunting!

Click image for larger version

Name:	First Long Island Deer-November-21-2008-tbh.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	24747437

Very nice! Glad you didn't let the upstate situation "tick" you off for too long! Congrats.

Comment

Congrats!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ny_bowhunter_002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	23860847

Comment

Very nice NY!! Congrats to you for ticking it out......hehe!!!

Comment

mucho congrats, amazing backdrop in that photo, was it taken close to an urban area, I think long island I think big city.
          Last edited by boss bowman; 11-24-2008, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Good stuff! Congratulations on dandy buck!!!
            Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Congrats to you on your nice buck!

Comment

Sweet! Congrats!

Comment

Way to solve the empty freezer problem.

Congrats,

Bisch

Comment

Congrats on the nice buck. Who's back yard are you in nice scenery

Comment

Congrats!!!

Comment

nice buck

Comment

Great Long Island buck. Congrats

Comment

Congrats - I used to hunt 5 hours west of The City during my college days off Rte 17 in Alfred U. Too many deer to handle out that way.

Comment

very nice buck, congrats

Comment

Working...
                              X