First Bow Kill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Bow Kill

This is almost a month overdue, but I'll elaborate on that in a bit.

I posted a message along with the pic below a month or so ago showing the cull buck I wanted to take off of my lease. He had been showing up almost every night with a young 8-point and I was hoping & waiting for favorable winds that would make my set-up more effective.

Fast forward to Thursday, October 23rd when I learned that my wife who was almost 8 months pregnant was a little "ahead of schedule" so to speak and the doc advised me that I should cancel my plans of taking part in a doe cull hunt down in Crockett County that upcoming weekend so as to not run the risk of being out of cell range if she should go into full blown labor. My wife felt bad about me having to cancel my plans since it was going to be my first chance to harvest a deer with my bow (I wasn't that concerned due to my excitement of the prospect of having another addition to our family very soon) but after the appointment she mentioned that I should head out to my lease in the coming days to sit in my blind. Well, the winds just happened to be o'kay that afternoon so I decided to go if the winds stayed favorable.

That afternoon after work I struck out and was in my pop-up by 5:30 pm. Definitely later than I would have liked, but it was the best I could do given my work schedule. Things couldn't have worked out any better considering that within an hour of climbing into my blind, the cull buck and the young 8-point worked their way in from the northwest of me to my feeder. I probably waited 20 minutes after they arrived prior to pulling back since I was wanting to get some video footage and also allow the cull buck to work his way closer to some hand thrown corn that I had put out prior to jumping in my blind. Everything worked just as I had imagined and I was able to get a good, broadside shot at the buck at 20 yards. He was able to make it about 70 yards before skidding to a stop and after tracking him it was evident that my Slick Trick make a clean pass through both lungs.

Below is a pic of the buck that was taken by my game cam just moments before I took the shot.

And here is the LDP. I actually questioned whether I would ever be able to post a picture of my very own LDP!

Oh yeah....remember I mentioned the video I was taking? Well, I obviously need some practice in that area! I didn't notice that my camera was focusing on the shoot-thru netting vs. the buck. You can still see the Lumenock strike the deer, but it would have been so much better had I paid closer attention to it being out of focus....but I was focusing pretty hard on not spooking the deer and making the shot at the time. I promise I'll try to do better next time. Here's a short clip. The buck is on the right side of the screen...
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
    I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

After getting him dressed out I was able to take him to the ranch headquarters and put him on the scales where I was surprised to see that he dressed out at 175 lbs! Pretty good for a West Texas whitetail. I've yet to age him since his head is in the freezer and I goofed up and failed to take a look at his teeth that night, but I'm interested in knowing how old he is. Needless to say I was walking on cloud 9 for a few days after that and replayed the whole event over and over in my head a hundred times.

Now....back to the reason for my delay in getting this milestone of mine posted. On October 27th (the following Monday) my wife gave birth to our third child, Alli, who weighed in at 6 lbs. 8 oz. and is easily one of the most beautiful trophies I could ever imagine. Talk about putting deer hunting in perspective!! I actually find myself forgetting about my first archery kill since we've welcomed her to our family. Here's my own little "LDP" of her....

Anyway....sorry for the delay and the looong post. But October was a very busy (and incredibly blessed) month for me and needless to say I've been just a "little" busy ever since!

Thanks to everyone on this board for their help. This is absolutely the greatest place not only to learn more about this great sport, but to meet and talk to genuinely good people.

Take care and God Bless!

predatorsniper

congrats

Comment

Congratulations on the deer and of course the little bundle of joy!

Comment

Congrats and congrats! Nice write-up and pics!

Comment

Nice deer! It's a big confidence boost to get that first bowkill behind you. Great picture of the baby! My third one came last October.

Comment

Congrats twice! Awesome pics....the deer too! Sometimes, things like hunting and fishing get postponed, but it was well worth it.

Comment

I appreciate it, guys!

Another great thing is that the night I bagged that buck I called my wife to give her the news and she promptly told me that she would like a bow for Christmas. She's always rifle hunted with me and I think she likes the idea of being able to practice in the back yard, etc. The only bad part is that she's fiercly competetive when it comes to hunting with me!

Thanks again for all the help.

predatorsniper

Comment

Congrats on the deer and the future bowhunting partner, hope she does'nt outshoot ya.

Comment

Great story hopefully many more to come...stories and who know what else..

Comment

congrats

Comment

Very awesome. Congrats on the buck and the little one.

Comment

Wow! Congrats on the little sweetheart and the nice first buck! Great story!

Comment

Great story right there. Congrats on the greatest October you could have.

Comment

congrats!!!!!

Comment

Nice...Congrats all around

Comment

Working...
                              X