Wyoming elk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wyoming elk

Took this decent 5 pt on Saturday. Thankfully a very easy pack out, 600 yds down hill to the truck.
    This is a wintering area so with weather they move down into it. Got a little snow up top so we planned our drive in from home for first light. Worked out great. A truck stopped along the access road flagged us down as we passed him, elk on the ridge just above the road. He had a deer tag only.
    We made about a 200 yd stalk to find them on the ridge above us looking down. Set up along the cattle exclusion fence when they started moving off.The spouse cow called when I asked and the bull stopped and gave me a broadside shot. A hit but he wasn't down. Another cow call stopped him and the cows from leaving for another shot, missed at 320 yds.
    He turned and went down into a small aspen motte. We moved up for a follow up and he busted out the other side and started uphill. A cow call again from the spouse stopped him for a broadside 209 yd shot. Down he went hard only to get up maybe 1 minute late as we celebrated. He made his 50 yd death run and piled up. We went back to the truck and got the game cart and pack frames for the pack out.
    The guy from the truck made his way down the draw after we had pushed some deer his way, no bucks big enough to take. He offered help and watched the gutless quartering method, then offered to steer the cart downhill for the "pack" out, amazed at the ease the cart worked on the ridge. We each packed a front shoulder out while the rear quarters, straps , tenders and rack were on the cart. One trip, elk out to the truck by 10:30.

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. Eli, thanks for the help and hope you enjoy the elk tender!
    Attached Files

very cool otc tag?

Comment

Good job bud! Great write up. Glad you got it done.

Comment

Congratulations!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If that was a book manuscript, no publisher would buy it: "that couldn't happen; no one would believe it!"

Good Samaritan deer hunter for sure, but great that y'all could team up calling and shooting to close the deal. AND manage a downhill packout!

Congrats on a nice bull and a very cool story and pics. Definitely happened!!

Comment

Got to love it when they are close to the road. What area are you hunting?

Comment

This is a LQ area that takes about 6-9 PP for NR to draw, special and regular draw. I'll give the area number in PM's , don't want to mess up those odds for you folks.
              Here is a view towards the Interstate, easy access area for sure. Good national forest land to hunt as well as G&F lands that are the wintering area part of the unit.
              Attached Files

Comment

Congrats on your bull!

Comment

congrats

Comment

Heck ya, congrats on the bull !!!

Comment

When you say 6-9 preference points for non-residents to draw, are you saying that -- if we buy a preference point every year -- then, we may be able to draw that area in 6 - 9 years?

Comment

Very cool.

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
                          When you say 6-9 preference points for non-residents to draw, are you saying that -- if we buy a preference point every year -- then, we may be able to draw that area in 6 - 9 years?
                          That's exactly what he is saying. I just bought my 6th. Looking to go either '20 or '21.

Comment

Congrats wytex!

Comment

Congrats!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X