First Time Skiing - Colorado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Time Skiing - Colorado

Wanting to take my wife on a ski trip during Valentine’s Day 2019. She and I did not grow up skiing, and I’m looking for any help I can get.

What is a good place to go in Colorado for amateurs, nice scenery, good food/bar scene, and where we won’t look like idiots.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If school is part of it Vail and Steamboat are some of the best. Pagosa Springs was worst ski school I've seen in the US.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Take lessons. Take lessons. You wont be the only newbees I guarantee.

Comment

Steamboat is more adult orientated (but family friendly). Plenty of green/blue runs. Lots of nice places in Colorado.

It will also help a ton if you put some leg work in beforehand - bike, stairclimb, uphill running, lunges, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by StrayDog View Post
          Steamboat is more adult orientated (but family friendly). Plenty of green/blue runs. Lots of nice places in Colorado.

It will also help a ton if you put some leg work in beforehand - bike, stairclimb, uphill running, lunges, etc.

Any recommendations for places to stay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We stayed at the Fairfield - had a big jet tub in the room that felt good after skiing. It’s a little bit away from everything but steamboat has an awesome bus system that all the skiers use and it stops ~ 100 yds from the Fairfield.

Have some beers and let the hippy kid drive the bus so you have no worries.

Comment

I don't know anything about ski schools but Purgatory (Durango) is a great mountain as is Copper Mountain. Don't forget about Red River, New Mexico.

Comment

Snowmass would be a good place for you. Ski-in/out condos, wide green/blue cruising trails and pretty scenery.

Comment

I highly recommend Sunlight Ski Resort. It's just south of Glenwood Springs and has some of the best snow in Co. It has great trails for beginners and is never crowded. It has a very laid back atmosphere and costs a fraction of what you pay at the more popular mega resorts. There are many lodges that you can stay at and ski right to your door.
                  As suggested....take at least a half day ski lesson and get after it!!
                  My family and friends spent every spring break there for over 20 years and it's an unbelievably beautiful area. I have some really fond memories there...you should check it out.

Sunlight gives you a full day of skiing for about half the cost of the mega resorts. You'll park for free, walk to the lifts, and never stand in line.

Comment

Looks like a bunch of recommendations but I will throw in Breckenridge as a great place. It’s a big mountain with with plenty of beginner runs and the town is great.

Comment

Steamboat is one of my favorite places to ski.

Comment

first time, lessons should be the first thing on your list. At least 1 day, and yes everyone falls but the instructor will make it all fun, and usually they will ski down the easy trails with you a couple times when the lesson is done. Just take your time, and stay on the Green slopes till you master them, don't let others push you to try steeper slopes yet.
                        Good luck!

Comment

It's been years since I went so keep that in mind. I would stay away from Vail. I love it there but the crowds can be horrible and the prices have gone way beyond outrageous. I loved Steamboat the last couple of times I was there. As others have said, take lessons. It will pay off.

Comment

Been to several in Colorado and New Mexico. My favorite is Crested Butte. Drink lots of water and get your legs ready before you go. The stairclimber is your friend.

Comment

coming from Mi and sking in CO MT UT WY great country for sure . Get her a lesson or two DO NOT BE ANY PART OF IT !!!! will make for a much happier day , spend the cash on private as well will go faster and she will be able be ready to ski with you much faster .

Comment

Working...
                              X