Flying with a Rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flying with a Rifle

I need to fly with a Winchester Model 94 rifle. What kind of case and locks should I get?

Whatever kind you want as long as it has a key lock on it you will be fine, if you put a combo lock on there they will cut it off..... Just keep the key on you. I put two simple key locks on both ends of mine and have never had any issues.

Comment

SKB case with TSA locks is what I flew with.

Comment

Originally posted by ldgary View Post
        I need to fly with a Winchester Model 94 rifle. What kind of case and locks should I get?
        Any hard-sided case will do. I got the Cabela's Armor Xtreme because I found it on sale and it's a pretty tough case.
        *important*
        If you get a case like mine that has two locking points, make sure you lock both of them. If you only lock one and they can open the latch and pry the fexible case open enough to touch the firearm, they will turn you away.
        I got a two-pack of keyed locks and lock both ends.
        The locks do not have to be separate from the case... you can buy a locking case (either key or combination) and that will work as well as long as it can't be pried open by hand at all.
        TSA guidance

Originally posted by 3DW5 View Post
        Whatever kind you want as long as it has a key lock on it you will be fine, if you put a combo lock on there they will cut it off..... Just keep the key on you. I put two simple key locks on both ends of mine and have never had any issues.
        Keyed locks are not required and they will not cut off any lock unless you try to check it without declaring it.
        TSA will ask you to open the case as you check it in so they can make sure it is compliant with travel rules, then it gets locked with your key or combo lock and not opened again until it is back in your hands. There is no difference between combo and key locks from TSA's perspective.
        Last edited by meltingfeather; 05-27-2015, 11:11 AM.

Comment

I've still got a nice two rifle case for sale. I posted it a couple of months back.

$150.00. Retails for $388. It has a combo lock.

Comment

Thank you for all the tips. I have a hard case now. It's not an SKB or anything very expensive, but I can lock it on both ends.

Comment

Another question, I have a differs hard case and I believe there are 4 different places to lock it. One on each end and two in the middle. Would you place a small lock in each location or what? Never flown with a firearm before. TIA for all the advice !

Comment

Originally posted by ldgary View Post
                Another question, I have a differs hard case and I believe there are 4 different places to lock it. One on each end and two in the middle. Would you place a small lock in each location or what? Never flown with a firearm before. TIA for all the advice !
                What matters is that the inspector can't pry the case open enough to access the firearm.
                The two locking points on my case are far enough apart (on either end) such that if just one is locked, you can pretty easily get the case 5-6" open on the other end and pull the rifle out... no fly zone so both have to be locked.
                Try it out is the best thing.

Comment

I use combo locks, keyed locks are not required, and at least 2 of the 4 places get locks on mine. Usually all 4.

Comment

Locks are cheap and guns are expensive. Put one everywhere you can

Comment

Working...
                    X