Cornbread shepherds pie - very easy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cornbread shepherds pie - very easy

I don't know what to call this, so it will have to be cornbread shepherds pie. It's not too precise but that doesn't really matter with this. It was kind of a clear out the freezer recipe that turned out great. I'll list what I used but you can really use whatever you have on hand or prefer and it will be fine.

1 lb ground venison
    various frozen vegetables - approx 2/3's cup each
    1 can black beans - rinsed
    1 can diced tomatoes - drained
    Oregano
    Parsley
    Garlic
    Red pepper flakes
    Salt & Pepper

Your favorite cornbread recipe.

Brown the venison in some olive oil. Be sure to season liberally with the herbs and spices while it's browning. THIS IS THE KEY TO THE DISH.

When it's finished browning, put it into a 9x13 baking dish.

On top of the venison, add the frozen vegs. Just pour them on top and stir in. I used peas, corn and carrots for this one.

On top of that add tomatos and black beans. Stir to combine. You can add more pepper and/or herbs here. I like pepper so I use a lot.

Make your favorite cornbread recipe. I like the Jiffy boxes and used two for this one. I added some creole seasoning to the wet mix for an extra little kick. Dump the wet mix over the meat & veg mixture to cover. I had a layer about 1/2 inch thick.

Bake the whole thing in a 400 degree oven until the cornbread is browned and cooked through. Mine took 20 minutes.

Cut and serve. I just had some leftovers for lunch and it was just as good the second time around. My wife even loved it and she only tolerates venison. I'll definitely do this one again. Maybe add some cheese to the mixture.

I love this dish and have made several versions of this. Its also great to make in a dutch oven at the deer camp

Comment

Yep we put this one together the other night and it is delicious. Thanks

Comment

Working...
      X