Scope Recommendations for PD Rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scope Recommendations for PD Rifle

Any recommendations out there for a good 4x12 or 14 for $300 or less. Seems to be several relatively new manufacturers now days making some pretty decent optics for the man on a budget. I’m wanting a mil dot style reticle and repeatable locking target/tactical turrets. I have a Vortex on another rifle and love the quality and price point but they don’t offer the combination I’m wanting. I have also looked at Athlon optics but no go on the locking turrets.
    Hoping someone has found another jewel out there.

Can you clarify the meaning of PD?

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Burris full field.

Edit: Nvm I only read your first sentence. Imo you're expecting too many features for a $300 scope. Glass will be the first to suffer effectively making your scope "junk" when it matters
      Last edited by SmTx; 11-17-2018, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
        Can you clarify the meaning of PD?

Sierracharlie out…
        Prairie dog

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
          Burris full field.

Edit: Nvm I only read your first sentence. Imo you're expecting too many features for a $300 scope. Glass will be the first to suffer effectively making your scope "junk" when it matters
          Yeah I’m asking a lot for sure. Just wondering if there is something out there similar to the two manufacturers I mentioned. Both have outstanding products for the price point. Just not quite what I’m looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by ww1984 View Post
            Prairie dog

Ahh totally not one of my guesses. As far as glass goes your best bet would be a viper hs 2-10 for that price range. Capped windage and elevation but great scope.

Outside of that you won’t find the features you are looking for on the same scope in that price range. Not that has decent glass anyway.

Keep an eye out for Black Friday sales at places life SWFA. you can usually get one of their fixed powers for a little bit of nothing and their 3-15 for somewhere in the 4-500 range I believe.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
              Ahh totally not one of my guesses. As far as glass goes your best bet would be a viper hs 2-10 for that price range. Capped windage and elevation but great scope.

Outside of that you won’t find the features you are looking for on the same scope in that price range. Not that has decent glass anyway.

Keep an eye out for Black Friday sales at places life SWFA. you can usually get one of their fixed powers for a little bit of nothing and their 3-15 for somewhere in the 4-500 range I believe.

Sierracharlie out…
              Thanks bud, I’ll check into that one. Definitely waiting on Black Friday/cyber Monday to purchase.

Comment

I've shot thousand upon thousands of prairie dogs and honestly I've probably never put my scope on more than 9 power. When you start picking up heat waves it messes with your eyes. Or at least it does mine.

I don't really know which one to suggest. I've used a bunch of different ones. Leupold Rifleman is a good choice.
                Last edited by okrattler; 11-17-2018, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Anyone have the Primary Arms 4-14X44mm FFP Rifle Scope - Mil-Dot Reticle? Lots of positive feedback online. It’s a contender at the moment. Lacks the locking turrets I want but I can manage.

Comment

Anyone have the Primary Arms 4-14X44mm FFP Rifle Scope - Mil-Dot Reticle? Lots of positive feedback online. It’s a contender at the moment. Lacks the locking turrets I want but I can manage.

I had one. It’s a solid scope for sure. Adjustments were true and repeatable. I didn’t own the gun for very long but it performed well while I had it. I would not hesitate to buy another one if I was looking for that style. I actually considered it for the rifle I just bought but got a better deal on a Vortex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hammerdown15 View Post
                      I had one. It’s a solid scope for sure. Adjustments were true and repeatable. I didn’t own the gun for very long but it performed well while I had it. I would not hesitate to buy another one if I was looking for that style. I actually considered it for the rifle I just bought but got a better deal on a Vortex.

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds on par with other reviews. May have found a winner! I have never had a first focal plane scope. Did the mil dots tend to cover up distant small targets at a higher magnification?

Comment

Glass is mediocre at best.

Best suggestion so far has been the SWFA 3-15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                          Glass is mediocre at best.

Best suggestion so far has been the SWFA 3-15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                          Yeah but the SWFA is also $700. If that were my budget then I would have a ton of options. Just looking for decent quality. I know this is a subjective topic. One persons decent is another’s junk lol. I have a Cabela’s brand 4-12 308 caliber specific scope I got for under $200 and it performed great on last years PD shoot. Had some mirage and what not but I had no issues shooting up to 400 yards and could clearly target dogs at 700. 40 mph wind was not conducive to hitting anything at that range lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammerdown15 View Post

I actually have the scope that he used to own. It is an awesome scope for the money. It tracks very well. Not the best in low light, but all of the other features more than make up for it.

Comment

Originally posted by flyinstroke View Post
                              I actually have the scope that he used to own. It is an awesome scope for the money. It tracks very well. Not the best in low light, but all of the other features more than make up for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X