No announcement yet.

pawn question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't purchased a gun in a long time, but when you do, isn't there a bit of paperwork to file with the government or state?

Comment

She will have to fill out 4473 after paying pawn then gun will be registerd to her.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes, when you pawn a gun, you have to do the background check to get it back out. So if she goes to get the gun and does the check, I would say, it is her gun

Comment

The NICS background check does not mean ownership. Texas does not have a gun registry. Filling out the 4473 and passing the check simply means an individual can legally possess/buy the firearm from a dealer. There is no official record of ownership here in Texas, which is why many insist on a signed bill of sale when buying/selling to/from private parties. It is definitely a "muddy" situation, but I would say if she can get the firearm out of pawn, she then possesses the firearm, and therefore it is hers.

Comment

She signed the ticket, so if all that is true, she will pass a background check and have possession of the gun. Unless something is missing. But he is a LEO, so not sure what would have been out of whack on that.

Comment

Makes you where the gun came from.

Comment

Originally posted by Ishi&Elvis View Post
                She signed the ticket, so if all that is true, she will pass a background check and have possession of the gun. Unless something is missing. But he is a LEO, so not sure what would have been out of whack on that.
                Go with your daughter and get the gun out of pawn. Then she can keep it as others have pointed out above

Comment

Him being a Leo is most likely the reason they pawned in her name. Many agencies will terminate employment for financial problems

Comment

I hope he does not get terminated. I do not wish any bad upon him. No, I do not "wonder" where the gun came from. I know he purchased it legally, and it is his gun, and he pawned it for some money for something else. Nothing shady about any of it. My daughter was with him, signed the ticket, and now we'll go see what needs to be done to relieve the pawn shop of the gun. He can come get it from me, interest free, whenever he likes or can.

Comment

I use to work in the pawn industry. Usually when something is pawned they request a drivers license. That person would have had to be present and would be the person that would need to retrieve the firearm.

Also, since most pawn shops report to leads online they want to match that person with the pawn in case it's stole. I.E. Police show up and want to look at the item. Same with purchases that go on police hold.

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

It should be registered to her. I am pretty sure she will have to complete the paperwork to get the gun out of pawn. It will then be in her name.

Comment

My brother-in-law pawned a Remington sendero 25-06 about 20 years ago and told me he was going to let it go. He gave me the ticket and I went to the pawn shop and got the gun out. He didn’t have to be present for me to get the gun. I just gave them the ticket and paid 345.00 and filled out the paperwork. I got a practically new Remington sendero 25-06 for 345.00

Comment

Originally posted by Ishi&Elvis View Post
                              I hope he does not get terminated. I do not wish any bad upon him. No, I do not "wonder" where the gun came from. I know he purchased it legally, and it is his gun, and he pawned it for some money for something else. Nothing shady about any of it. My daughter was with him, signed the ticket, and now we'll go see what needs to be done to relieve the pawn shop of the gun. He can come get it from me, interest free, whenever he likes or can.
                              I suppose you can hold the gun after she gets it out of pawn, but family court is where you are going to get your final answer on the ownership of the gun.

Comment

First, would you all please quit saying anything about "registered" in regards to the gun. There is no such thing.

Now here's how it works. When you pawn a gun, you are given a claim ticket with an expiration date on it. It will provide details on how much is owed on what day as of the expiration date. The pawn shop should have told them that they MUST have the ticket to get the gun back. So, if they were to lose the ticket, they would not be able to get the gun back for the amount loaned (+interest). The pawn shop would then be able to keep the gun and place it up for sale. Most reputable places will usually hang on to it for an additional few days before doing so. But, they don't have to do that. Now, whomever has the ticket in their possession, is the only person that can "buy" the gun out of hock after completing the background check and ok'd by the FBI. Doesn't have to be him or her to do so. You lose the ticket, you are s.o.l. for the most part. Once the gun is purchased out of loan/hock, it belongs to that person. Period, end of story.

Comment

Working...
                                X