Educate me on Catahoulas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Educate me on Catahoulas

My kids ran into a dog adoption event at the local pet store. There was a 6 month old male Catahoula there that my kids fell in love with. My wife did too, and she's not a dog person, so I feel like I'm in trouble.

So, for an in house dog, that is described as shy, good on walks, and crate trained, what do y'all think?

If it’s going to be a house dog, is pure Catahoula, and is the only dog in the house, I’d say pass. If it was a 5 year old described that way, maybe. Too much puppy left in that one.

If you already have an older mellow dog in the house, this pup will likely take cues and turn into a good house pet.

Catahoulas are very intelligent dogs. They are also very active and driven. They’re working dogs. If they have no calming dog to temper them, they generally don’t make the best house pets.

IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

pm Sika and listen to what she says.

Comment

Originally posted by TXHUNT3R View Post
        pm Sika and listen to what she says.
        Why do I feel like this is a set up...?

Comment

Originally posted by firemanjj82 View Post
          Why do I feel like this is a set up...?
          No I'm not kidding she has a ton of knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by TXHUNT3R View Post
            No I'm not kidding she has a ton of knowledge.
            Got it. Thanks.

Comment

My experience is you get either a really intelligent one that will do fine in the house and are very protective or a few that are batsheet crazy.

Comment

Might be ok if you can give it LOTS of exercise

Comment

There is an 85% chance that the dog is not a catahoula. Most rescues call any mearl dog a catahoula. It is most likely a mix breed like all the others. Also catahoula's are a funny breed when it comes to size and temperament.
                  I have seen NALC catahoula's from 25 pounds to 80 bounds. Some are calm and some are crazy.

Comment

If you have the land for him to run and burn off energy he could be an awesome dog. They are very high energy and need to be able to burn some of that off. We have one and she is great inside but she gets in a couple like run once or twice a day. Imo they can make a great family dog mine loves kids and is great with them.

Comment

We have a healer cat mix. Very smart. Only stops moving to sleep, eat, and poop.
                      She runs circles around the other dogs.
                      At 3 years old she is still chewing on the things she should not.
                      The healer side makes her hallarious. There are 3 ways to do stuff to healers. The right way - the wrong way - and the healer way. They make you laugh a lot.
                      No dang way I would do the puppy to adult stage with either breed.
                      Both of ours are older rescues.

Comment

Working...
                      X