Setup specs question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setup specs question

So, being new to the trad thing (don't really have a trad bow worth shooting yet, just a board that will hopefully make a bow), I do not know what to go for in regards to all the specs of my hunting setup. So I'll give the details of what I'll be doing and what I plan on shooting...

Animals chasing: pigs, squirrels, rabbits, and MAYBE whitetail

Specs (what I'm thinking about doing unless this is just stupid):

45# @28"
    500 spine 30" arrow at 7.6gpi
    125gr viper tricks

Do any of you trad masters think this will be good enough for the game I'm chasing???

Sounds like it'll do, however, I will say, start with a full length arrow instead of one cut at 30" and once you are consistent you can work on tuning your arrow to get the proper arrow set-up. This will ensure your arrows are flying straight with broadheads and will give the best possibility for penetration, etc.

Comment

Someone with more experience will shine in soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Loreva13 View Post
        Someone with more experience will shine in soon.
        Heck, you know more than I do, so thanks for the advice!!!

Comment

No problem! Glad to help out.

Here's a link that talks about bare shaft tuning:

Comment

You'll probably want a heavier overall arrow. In that poundage, I think an arrow totaling 450 gr or better would suffice. I'd also recommend a different broadhead. In fact, to get those arrows to spine correctly it's possible that you'd go with a heavier broadhead. That would help out the overall weight, the front of center, and get you into a beefier head with a higher mechanical advantage.
            Last edited by TxAg; 06-09-2014, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
              You'll probably want a heavier overall arrow. In that poundage, I think an arrow totaling 450 gr or better would suffice. I'd also recommend a different broadhead. In fact, to get those arrows to spine correctly it's possible that you'd go with a heavier broadhead. That would help out the overall weight, the front of center, and get you into a beefier head with a higher mechanical advantage.
              What heads would you recommend? I'm on a budget, so nothing crazy

Comment

Originally posted by popup_menace View Post
                What heads would you recommend? I'm on a budget, so nothing crazy
                depends. first you have to get your arrows flying straight. there are cheap (but good) and expensive broadheads designed for trad bows in just about every weight from 100 grains to over 300 grains.

if you're curious, take a look at the broadheads listed on a trad shopping site like braveheartarchery.us or 3riversarchery.com

Comment

for me i would want a heavier arrow setup.

in my experience a heavier arrow around 10gpp works quiet well.

It makes the bow quieter than a fast light arrow. and you will get better momentum from heavier arrows.

i shoot 400 spine easton axis with 50 grain insert a 180 grain broadhead and 15 grain footing. thats abut 22 % FOC and makes right around 10 gpp, from my sarrels blueridge sr.

the arrows' speed is "only" 178 fps but they hit hard and the bow is whisper quiet.

i would use some 2 blade cut on contact broadheads. but i have no idea whats on the market right now as i have some german kinetics and dont bowhunt that often so they should last me nearly forever..

Daniel

i
                  Last edited by triffnix; 06-10-2014, 02:04 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll be shopping around for some heavier arrows and getting my hands on some heavy BHs once I finish my bow

Comment

I like zwickey for broadheads on the cheap. 20 bucks for half a dozen is better then those crazy 3 for $50. Zwickey even has a single bevel in their line-up! But a wood shaft and 125grn head was standard for quite some time, carbon with a weight tube can get you the same KE now but with a "better" shaft. I shoot 8.7gpi shafts with 5gpi weight tubes and a 175grn head or Douglas fir shafts with a 125(changing that soon) with my 63lb recurve and shot 9.3gpi shafts from my 45lb recurve with 125-150grn heads. 45lbs should be plenty, that's why the law is 40lbs or higher. Because a 40lber will get the job done. An arrow can blow through the stomach but won't kill the deer nearly as fast as one that gets 8 inches into the vitals.

Comment

Working...
                      X