Rebuilt Vehicle Title question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuilt Vehicle Title question

Has anyone ever purchased a vehicle with a Rebuilt Title ?? My daughter was hit and totaled her truck and we are looking for something now. I’ve located and drove a truck for sale locally that has a Texas Rebuilt Title . Seller told me the damage was cosmetic from a minor wreck . I did pull a Carfax report and everything he said was on the report.
    I have driven and inspected truck as best as I can , mechanically and physically it seems in good shape for a truck that age & miles . The repairs are good and everything works on the truck as it should . This is new for me and need a little insight or advice !!

On a salvage or rebuilt title insurance companies will only offer liability coverage. This is what I found when going through this situation. Not sure if this matters to you, it didn't to me. Be careful, there are a lot of flooded vehicles floating around after the hurricanes. (a little humor)

Comment

I dont think the title changes to rebuilt unless the vehicle was totaled at some point. Not minor cosmetic damage. So, it's possible it was flooded at some point. Carfax does not show everything in the history of the vehicle everytime.

Have your insurance run the vin.# in a quote and that will show exactly what was paid on his " minor" accident

Comment

A. Shop around you can get full coverage on a rebuilt title it will just be valued less in another total loss. iE ask if there is a “stated value”.

B. A minor accident will total plenty of cars/trucks if they get the right part and/or any “frame” damage. And remember your frame can consist of the smallest brackets and pieces that would require extensive labor costs to replace but they in no way actually effect the operation of the vehicle.

C. Flood stuff does suck so watch for that.

Do you research and pay a fair price. I’ve owned a few.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
          I dont think the title changes to rebuilt unless the vehicle was totaled at some point. Not minor cosmetic damage. So, it's possible it was flooded at some point. Carfax does not show everything in the history of the vehicle everytime.

Have your insurance run the vin.# in a quote and that will show exactly what was paid on his " minor" accident
          My 2000 F-250 was "Totaled" Last year when a "friend" ran it off the road. Several minor dents and a bunch of scratches added up to over 10,000 dollars (all cosmetic). The value of the truck was 7000 dollars according to State farm. They cut me a check for a little over 5000 because I kept the truck. Its does have a salvage title now, even though the damage was just cosmetic.

Comment

Originally posted by rjtkdplus View Post
            My 2000 F-250 was "Totaled" Last year when a "friend" ran it off the road. Several minor dents and a bunch of scratches added up to over 10,000 dollars (all cosmetic). The value of the truck was 7000 dollars according to State farm. They cut me a check for a little over 5000 because I kept the truck. Its does have a salvage title now, even though the damage was just cosmetic.
            So will State Farm insure it again? or did you have to shop for a different company?

Comment

Originally posted by rjtkdplus View Post
              Yes, cosmetic damage will total an 18 year old truck. But it won't typically total a 5 or 10 year old truck.

Comment

Originally posted by Bassdeer View Post
                So will State Farm insure it again? or did you have to shop for a different company?
                Yes, Liability and PIP only.

Comment

After re-reading the Carfax is appears the truck was in two accidents . One in 2013 and one in 2018 . It’s a 2013 Ford F-150 ext cab 4x4 . Carfax called the damage in both accidents minor to moderate . After the 2018 accident it was deemed a total loss , sold at salvage auction , given a SALVAGE title . I’m guessing a buyer repaired it and got the REBUILT title and resold it to the current owner.
                  It looks and drives good for a 5-6 year old truck , we are looking , kinda in a time crunch being down to one vehicle and on a budget . Just a little confused here !!

Comment

I got full coverage on a 1997 f350 7.3 with geico truck is salvage tittled due to
                    Houston flood I keep full coverage on everything I own

Comment

Working...
                    X