DIY Euro Mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Euro Mounts

I found Euro's a fun hobby last hunting season. It came significantly easy to me so long as I do the project from start to finish. Everybody has their own way of doing it but this is my process.

- When skinning, get as much extra meat and neck out as you can. It will all come off after more boiling.
    - I just use a simple propane burner and a pot just big enough to submerge the whole head.
    - After the first hour or so of boiling, grip as much of the nose cavity as you can with channellock pliers and pull straight out. (saves time later on) Then put it back in the pot.
    - Every couple hours take it out and pressure wash every cavity and hole you can get to. When you get to the brains, it will smell horrid but its just part of the process.
    - The whole boiling process takes about 6 hours and about 3/4 of the propane tank.
    - Once you've pressure washed and got out as much stuff as you can, I soak it in 40 volume peroxide until I have it the color I want. You can use 3 volume peroxide, it will just take a few days to whiten.
    - Once the skull is the color I like, I just set it in the sun for a couple hours or enough to dry.

This whole process only costs me about $30-$40 depending on the animal. I hope this helped! I attached some of the more recent mounts I have done.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0881.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	25157290Click image for larger version

Name:	Facetune_03-02-2018-01-52-45.jpg
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	25157291Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2846.jpg
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	25157292Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1423.jpg
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	25157293

Nice Work

Comment

Originally posted by T-roy66 View Post
      Nice Work
      Thank You

Comment

Looks good!

Comment

Looks good.

Comment

Looks great

Comment

Looks good.

Comment

Nicely done. Take a 4-6" strip of aluminum foil and wrap it around the antler bases during the simmering process. Then take some electrical tape and tape them off during the peroxide process. Will keep your bases from turning white

Comment

What method do you use to get the horns off your rams

Comment

Originally posted by wilcox1088 View Post
                    What method do you use to get the horns off your rams

When you’re doing a ram, you can boil the horns for about 30 minutes and then right out of the water give the base of the horns a few good whacks with a hammer. But you have to be sure to wrap the head of the hammer with a cloth so you don’t damage the horns. Then you can cut off about 3/4 of the remaining bone to reduce the weight.

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
                      Nicely done. Take a 4-6" strip of aluminum foil and wrap it around the antler bases during the simmering process. Then take some electrical tape and tape them off during the peroxide process. Will keep your bases from turning white

I’ll definitely have to try that. I’ve had that problem before as you can probably tell in the pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

Pretty good idea. I’ve always just rotted them off

Comment

Originally posted by wilcox1088 View Post
                            Pretty good idea. I’ve always just rotted them off

After a few good hits they should just slide right off like it was filled with butter

Comment

Working...
                            X