Crab Claw Bucks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crab Claw Bucks?

Wondering how common a crab claw buck is and is it genetic? Easily, more than half the bucks we see all have a left crab claw. Different ages and on different cameras. Biggest one has been a wide tall point with same left crab claw. Just wondering how likely it is that he is the dominant buck and we see a lot of his offspring?

We have a very predominate crab claw trait at our place as well.

Comment

Is it genetic? Yes
      How common? Just depends on where you are, if its managed, etc.

My current lease we are working on putting together guidelines for culls. Crab claws will be on there. We have some very nice 8 and 10 points, wide, 10-12" G1's and G2's with tiny crab claws. Just messes a nice buck up. I would say we are probably 40-50% crab clawed as well. Hopefully not in a few years though.

Comment

We see a lot of this at our place too..here is an example.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-11-10-15-53-39.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	24415359
        We call this guy crab claw...original I know

Comment

We've been after our crab claw 8pts for 3 years now... It has only gotten worse! lol we have some beautiful deer that just won't score good because of the crab claw, and thus have made it to the management buck list to encourage people to kill them.

Comment

I hate that trait! We also had a bad problem with no browtines for a while. It is tough to manage.

Comment

Working...
            X