Sunspot observatory closure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hummmmm, does this have any connection.

The Trump administration will send a message to all US mobile phones on Thursday, as it tests an unused alert system that warns the public about national emergencies. Phones will make a loud tone and have a special vibration according to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), which will send the alert. The test message will be headlined “Presidential Alert” and will go on to read “THIS IS A TEST of the National Wireless Emergency Alert System.

Government alert system to be tested this Thursday for the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertDug View Post
      Hummmmm, does this have any connection.

The Trump administration will send a message to all US mobile phones on Thursday, as it tests an unused alert system that warns the public about national emergencies. Phones will make a loud tone and have a special vibration according to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), which will send the alert. The test message will be headlined “Presidential Alert” and will go on to read “THIS IS A TEST of the National Wireless Emergency Alert System.

Government alert system to be tested this Thursday for the first time.

Will be something like this -----v

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
        Man doesn't have the technology or capacity to detect signals 3 billion light years away, and nothing anyone can say will ever convince me otherwise.
        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Yes I do...built the SOB in my garage one rainy weekend. Been detecting light every since.

Comment

Man doesn't have the technology or capacity to detect signals 3 billion light years away, and nothing anyone can say will ever convince me otherwise.

Its light from 3 billions years ago that has just reached earth. Not hard to detect when it has come to your doorstep. Every time you look up at night you are seeing the the sky as it was thousands and thousands of years ago. Looks nothing like that anymore in reality... many of the stars you see are not even alive anymore but just has millions of years of light still left coming this way before we physically see that they have died.

Comment

Rednecks seriously discussing high tech technology, the FEDS and what they are up to, MARS and "light years....

It just doesn't get any better..

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
              Rednecks seriously discussing high tech technology, the FEDS and what they are up to, MARS and "light years....

It just doesn't get any better..
              I'd put us up against some city slicken Berkley College grads any day.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                I know that's right. Especially since "SOME" of us are right most of the time...

Comment

You ain't kiddin!! Only Google has a chance .
                  We've got rocket scientists, to famous detectives, and everything in between. Hell, we've got a Webster Troy!!

Comment

Originally posted by Smell the Glove View Post
                    This was the only conspiracy that actually made my skin crawl. Glad we made it thru that 36 hour window.
                    Any dead bodies pop up in this deal yet?

Comment

Sunspot observatory closure

Its light from 3 billions years ago that has just reached earth. Not hard to detect when it has come to your doorstep. Every time you look up at night you are seeing the the sky as it was thousands and thousands of years ago. Looks nothing like that anymore in reality... many of the stars you see are not even alive anymore but just has millions of years of light still left coming this way before we physically see that they have died.

I understand the concept, what I don't buy is the idea that we can measure a figure like 3 BILLION LIGHT YEARS....and get within any kind of reasonable accuracy. I mean how could you ever confirm/verify something like that? I've no doubt that we can detect any number of weird anomalies in any number of different ways, but how do you verify the source/distance of anything like that with any real accuracy.

Whatever technology we have to do that...I don't feel, can really accurately be "calibrated", for lack of a better term.

Last edited by Dale Moser; 09-17-2018, 10:40 PM.

Comment

I understand the concept, what I don't buy is the idea that we can measure a figure like 3 BILLION LIGHT YEARS....and get within any kind of reasonable accuracy. I mean how could you ever confirm/verify something like that? I've no doubt that we can detect any number of weird anomalies in any number of different ways, but how do you verify the source/distance of anything like that with any real accuracy.

Whatever technology we have to do that...I don't feel, can really accurately be "calibrated", for lack of a better term.

Short answer, astrophysics. Longer answer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_distance_ladder

The method science has of "calibration" as you put it is through conducting experiments and noting how the results compare to expected outcomes. Designing meaningful experiments for any one of the hard sciences is a field unto itself...and I just so happen to work as one of the engineers who designs space instrumentation electronics that conducts these kinds of experiments. You are correct, scientific measurements are not perfect but we know enough now to ensure that they are pretty darn precise...and the level of scientific scrutiny these kinds of results go through prior to publishing is pretty mind boggling.
                        Last edited by JonBoy; 09-18-2018, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Galileo's method was to hang a thin rope in his line of sight to the star and measure the maximum distance from which it would wholly obscure the star. From his measurements of this distance and of the width of the rope, he could calculate the angle subtended by the star at his viewing point

Galileo was doing a lot back in the 1500s, I cant imagine how much we have gone from there.

Comment

Ah, the ole "I don't understand it, therefore it must be impossible"

Comment

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
                              Short answer, astrophysics. Longer answer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_distance_ladder

The method science has of "calibration" as you put it is through conducting experiments and noting how the results compare to expected outcomes. Designing meaningful experiments for any one of the hard sciences is a field unto itself...and I just so happen to work as one of the engineers who designs space instrumentation electronics that conducts these kinds of experiments. You are correct, scientific measurements are not perfect but we know enough now to ensure that they are pretty darn precise...and the level of scientific scrutiny these kinds of results go through prior to publishing is pretty mind boggling.

Thanks for your reply....but 3 billion light years?

Thats a figure I can't get my head around, given the "size" of a light year...and the size of a billion of those...

Comment

Originally posted by Hank Hill View Post
                                Ah, the ole "I don't understand it, therefore it must be impossible"

I'm allowed 1 conspiracy theory, aren't I?

Comment

Working...
                                X