Anyone breed meat rabbits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone breed meat rabbits?

I've always liked self-providing projects, so just put in our garden, but was looking for something else. Being in the city, quail and chickens are out. I dont see any issues with rabbits though, so interested. Not crazy about the space requirement over quail, but saw some good hutches at tractor supply, or might build a small breathable rabbit barn. Where do you buy your rabbits? Any tips, turn back now warnings?

Where are you at?

Comment

Originally posted by Hooverfb View Post
      I've always liked self-providing projects, so just put in our garden, but was looking for something else. Being in the city, quail and chickens are out. I dont see any issues with rabbits though, so interested. Not crazy about the space requirement over quail, but saw some good hutches at tractor supply, or might build a small breathable rabbit barn. Where do you buy your rabbits? Any tips, turn back now warnings?
      The space requirement for quail is minimal. Look up A&M Bobwhite Quail. Only problem is they have to be incubated, but if you have kids, that is a fun project. We use to raise them before selling the house a few years ago and will begin raising them again soon when the house is complete.
      As far as rabbits, we have about 12 right now. Down from 20. You have to keep a buck inside during the warmer months or they go sterile. If it is constantly about about 85* outside they cant be breed. Lots of people will keep a shed air conditioned for a few bucks, or make them the pets and leave them inside a kids bedroom. Throw them outside for a few hours in each pen and you might get lucky. Does carry for around 28 days. Put a nesting box in 25 days after the buck was in the cage.

Comment

I'm in katy, but still harris county. Their law on "fowl" is pretty restrictive, technically bringing quail under prohibited birds (unless it was a pet). I'd prefer quail due to the space requirements and two fold production (meat and eggs, more efficient) but I'd rather follow the law even if it is dumb, than start a nuisance witha neighbor potentially. Not enough room i think to meet the 100ft on eother side from neighbor based on where I'd ideally place the quail hutch. was looking forward to showing my son he eggs in the incubator, etc.

The bucks aren't sterile for good after the summer though right? Wondering if i could do all my breeding once temps drop, raise litters for the freezer, then avoid even attempting breeding in summer.

Comment

My dad raised checkered giants for years. They would weigh about 6-8 lbs at fryer age of 4 months. Delicious sweet tender near white meat when raised in cages up off the ground. He never had a problem with the city here in Euless, Tx. They make no noise and don't create a bad smell. They do however make a lot of fishing worms under the cages. Burlap on the ground and wet it down often and the worms will be there. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checkered_Giant_rabbit

Comment

I'm in katy, but still harris county. Their law on "fowl" is pretty restrictive, technically bringing quail under prohibited birds (unless it was a pet). I'd prefer quail due to the space requirements and two fold production (meat and eggs, more efficient) but I'd rather follow the law even if it is dumb, than start a nuisance witha neighbor potentially. Not enough room i think to meet the 100ft on eother side from neighbor based on where I'd ideally place the quail hutch. was looking forward to showing my son he eggs in the incubator, etc.

The bucks aren't sterile for good after the summer though right? Wondering if i could do all my breeding once temps drop, raise litters for the freezer, then avoid even attempting breeding in summer.
            No they dont lose it forever. It takes about 30 days in the AC or cooler temps to regain their manhood.

Comment

A trick about raising rabbits. Sometimes a doe will eat her babies as she has them. My Dad would put some raw bacon in the cage a day or two before the doe had the litter. Doe would eat the bacon and then not eat the babies. Not all does will eat the babies but the ones that do, the bacon trick helps save the litter. If she does eat the babies don't worry. She will have another litter in 28 days. Keep bucks away from the litter or they will kill them to make the momma come in heat again.

Comment

What is the best way to cook'em?
                I tried up a cottontail once and it became rubber.....I guess I cooked it to long

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                  A trick about raising rabbits. Sometimes a doe will eat her babies as she has them. My Dad would put some raw bacon in the cage a day or two before the doe had the litter. Doe would eat the bacon and then not eat the babies. Not all does will eat the babies but the ones that do, the bacon trick helps save the litter. If she does eat the babies don't worry. She will have another litter in 28 days. Keep bucks away from the litter or they will kill them to make the momma come in heat again.
                  Dang! Rabbits are jerks.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post

I've raised rabbits, and the rabbits eating their babies does happen sometimes. I will have to give the bacon trick a try.

Comment

I have three breeding does and 2 bucks. We use them as show rabbit breeding stock, but girls no longer want to breed them for show. We had 23 babies from 3 does and every single one lived.i did cull a couple at birth due to being a runt and milk at a premium. We switched a couple to even out the number evenly as possible among the does. They don’t smell and make no noise but the heat is a concern. Our rabbits are Californians which is a commercial meat rabbit.
                      Last edited by trooperjd; 09-18-2018, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                        What is the best way to cook'em?
                        I tried up a cottontail once and it became rubber.....I guess I cooked it to long
                        I've smoked it just like you would a chicken, gotta use a mop since it doesn't have much fat. Or french recipes like lapin et moutard. Or cut carcass in halves and grill it.

Is there a breeder anyone knows within the houston or dallas (dad is moving around that way so will be there more often) area? Or just put out feelers/watch classifieds. I appreciate all the tips.

Comment

I've smoked it just like you would a chicken, gotta use a mop since it doesn't have much fat. Or french recipes like lapin et moutard. Or cut carcass in halves and grill it.

Is there a breeder anyone knows within the houston or dallas (dad is moving around that way so will be there more often) area? Or just put out feelers/watch classifieds. I appreciate all the tips.
                          Thank you

Comment

Smoking with mesquite, slathered with a honey, onion based bbq sauce.
                            Mmmmm Mmmmm

Comment

I can’t get down that low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X