PVC Protein feeder tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PVC Protein feeder tubes

If we build those pvc protein tubes that we can hang on a tree trunk or a T post, how do you build it where the deer can still get to it, but protein doesn't just all fall straight out of the tube? Or is that a dumb question? Any ideas yall have? Or pics of what you are doing?

I have never built one but have seen pictures and I think you just use a U shaped elbow at the end of the pipe to prevent it all from falling out.

Edit....found some google pictures and they aren't actually using a U shaped elbow.

Last edited by AgBass01; 08-08-2018, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Make sure you plan on going out to fill it 2-3 times a week. Once they know its there and free choice those tubes don't last long.

Comment

The deer will eat 100 lbs a week easy out of my 55 gal drum.

Comment

I've used these for corn, but never protein. Even with the drains in the bottom, what happens when the protein gets wet due to rain?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Have a couple in the wild myself...

Comment

Originally posted by Muskles View Post
              I've used these for corn, but never protein. Even with the drains in the bottom, what happens when the protein gets wet due to rain?

Protein mush !

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                Protein mush !
                This is what I figured. Will they still eat it, or will it just turn nasty and mold? Any way to prevent it with some sort of hood/roof?

Comment

Right now my dad walks out every day and pours the protein in little troughs. Protein hits that metal trough, its like the dinner bell goes off. But when they eat the trough up, its done. Just wanted to try something new.

Comment

Originally posted by mechhead View Post

Have a couple in the wild myself...
                    For protein this type is best. Make sure you make the T end pieces long enough so it doesn’t just pour out.

The other style is good for corn only.

Comment

Originally posted by AgBass01 View Post
                      I have never built one but have seen pictures and I think you just use a U shaped elbow at the end of the pipe to prevent it all from falling out.

Edit....found some google pictures and they aren't actually using a U shaped elbow.

I've been using feeders like these for 30 years. I have free standing ones also. Just add some pvc under it and bury a couple feet in the ground.

Comment

Working...
                      X