Backpacking tent??? Worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
    I’m m sleeping in it. Not doing jumping jacks. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Laugh now...go nuts when you are stuck for 24 hrs in it via rain and or snow...

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post

Ahhhh. Now that sounds like a wonderful day of sleep and a book as the sound of the rain pelts the tent! [emoji1303]

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
        Bingo. Or crazy weather catches you. Been there, no fun. I now carry a 5lb $800 2 man. I'll deal with the weight. If I need to go light, I have a 4 season bivy, that is also bulletproof.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
          Bingo. Or crazy weather catches you. Been there, no fun. I now carry a 5lb $800 2 man. I'll deal with the weight. If I need to go light, I have a 4 season bivy, that is also bulletproof.

How do you sleep in a bivy? Talk about no room?

Comment

Think I might hold out on a 3 seasons double wall tent.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotonSlinger View Post
              Three times the weight of mine but also five times less. You can always shave weight somewhere else but imo shelter is usually one of the top priorities. There are also some hardcore backcountry guys here that have tons of experience, maybe one of them will chime in and steer you in the right path. Personally I would buy it for 40 bucks just to have it. I take several fishing trips a yr where i stay in my one man because its so easy.
              The big three (tent, backpack and sleeping bag) are so critical... mess these up and there is no way to cut enough other stuff to compensste. That being said, the advice above is solid. Go with what you can afford. Hyper-light gear sky-rockets in price. I learned a lot hiking the AT and the JMT and have spent about 6 months of nights in my Henry-Shires Double Rainbow TarpTent in the last year. Like what PhotonSlinger suggests, the cost was much more than even the retail of the tent you are considering, but I spent a lot of time hiking and there was no other choice. That all being said, 4 pounds is very heavy.

Comment

Backpacking tent??? Worth it?

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                The big three (tent, backpack and sleeping bag) are so critical... mess these up and there is no way to cut enough other stuff to compensste. That being said, the advice above is solid. Go with what you can afford. Hyper-light gear sky-rockets in price. I learned a lot hiking the AT and the JMT and have spent about 6 months of nights in my Henry-Shires Double Rainbow TarpTent in the last year. Like what PhotonSlinger suggests, the cost was much more than even the retail of the tent you are considering, but I spent a lot of time hiking and there was no other choice. That all being said, 4 pounds is very heavy.

Yeah, I think I’m gonna go with a Big Agnes unless there is a better 2 pound option.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                  Yeah, I think I’m gonna go with a Big Agnes unless there is a better 2 pound option.

Big Agnes tents are well respected. They are available at REI and are cuspy "cottage industry" grade. Several people on the hiking trails use the Copper Spur (I believe that's what it is called?). Spend a minute on the Henry Shire web-site. I think they are a bit more expensive then Big Agnes tents, but man I love mine.

Comment

Also, although I hiked and did not hunt (and realize hunting will result in a heavy overall pack weight), PM me if you have any questions on base pack weight...trust me, no one wants to be a gram-weenie, but a lighter base weight will make you a happier back country hunter.

Comment

I'd buy it if I was starting out, but I must state I love my Big Agnes Fly Creek 3

You can never go too small with tents, especially ultralites.

Comment

I'm a tarp and bag/hammock guy. Larger tents are nice but simplicity and weight means more to me. Depends on what's a luxury to you...

Comment

Originally posted by Fishxbones View Post
                          I'm a tarp and bag/hammock guy. Larger tents are nice but simplicity and weight means more to me. Depends on what's a luxury to you...

Ability to be completely out of the elements including insects and not worry about damp/wet ground.

Comment

Hammock can cover both. Net and tarp or hanging bivy.

Comment

I'd go with a 2-3 person UL tent myself...its really nice when you're weathered in to be able to move around and get comfortable. You can also set your stuff out and keep it clean. If I end up taking peeps out hunting with me, we can divy out the tent and share the weight.

Also nice to have the space when the wife comes along

At 3 lb, 8 oz I can't complain and can find elsewhere to shed some weight for my 3 person mansion , I mean tent to come along.

Comment

When I pack in, I use the Eureka spitfire. It is 2# 12 oz. I have lived in it for 7 days at a time between 9,000 and 11,000 feet in Colorado.

I would go for it. It looks bigger than mine.

If you want to shave weight off, go with a bivy or a hammock.

Comment

Working...
                                X