Question about fishing line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about fishing line

So I fish fresh water mostly but also fish saltwater some with mono. Today I went bass fishing and had my line broke on several occasions. All of my reels were spooled recently so the line is good. I want to switch to braided line and my question is what is the best all around braided line for fresh and saltwater? Any of you saltwater guys have any advice.

I don't fish fresh water much, but wind tamer cast very smoothly on bait casters. I like power pro for my spinning gear.

Comment

When you say wind tamer isn't that made by Fins?

Comment

Power pro or Basspros brand.

Comment

Stay away from braided line. I tried it once and the line takes a lot of wear and tear rubbing up against many things making it very frail. And you have to change it out every year. I lost a ton of fish with it and I will never go back. Stick with mono. Maybe you just got a bad spool. Dump it all and get a new one

Comment

Gama, or samari braid...used to use power pro. Quality isnt what it was and i cant stand seagars braid. For all around rod salt and fresh. 40 lb Gama tourqe will be awesome. Cast better than 50 or 65

If you samuri... get the size over 50... they have weird sizes. But the stuff is SUPER limo so its hard to handle somtimes at 40 lb

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

I've got a bad spool of line before so consider that.

Comment

I've been throwing Power Pro the last 10 years or so. I've never had any issues. It's not as abrasion resistant, but if you run a fluoro leader you don't have to worry about it. I don't worry about it at all, and go straight braid. The sensitivity and strength vs. mono is worth it. You also don't have to change it out every year. I fish weekly in salt water and don't change it out yearly.

Comment

I've been fishing with spiderwire for many, many years, fresh and salt. I've used it so much it would bet faded out and turn from the dark green to a washed out light color. Just spooled it off the reel then back on from the opposite end where it was still the dark green. It's the toughest line I've ever used bar none.

Comment

Originally posted by Efren View Post
                    Stay away from braided line. I tried it once and the line takes a lot of wear and tear rubbing up against many things making it very frail. And you have to change it out every year. I lost a ton of fish with it and I will never go back. Stick with mono. Maybe you just got a bad spool. Dump it all and get a new one
                    No offence, but don't take advice from a guy that complains about having to change his fishing line once a year. You say you chaged your line recently but how recent? Were the rods left in the heat or spooled with line thats been in your garage for the last 5 years? I change my line almost every time I go fishing with NEW line. I find it crazy how much people spend on fishing and then skemp on the last thing that they need to put fish in the boat.

Comment

I used braided line for hook setting power and mono for topwater and swim baits

A

Comment

We have been fishing Power Pro for about 10 years with no issue. I never change line unless something happens to cause the reel to get low because it just doesn't seem to break down line mono.

This last year we put Wind Tamer by Finns on 2 reels and it is a little smoother.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                          No offence, but don't take advice from a guy that complains about having to change his fishing line once a year. You say you chaged your line recently but how recent? Were the rods left in the heat or spooled with line thats been in your garage for the last 5 years? I change my line almost every time I go fishing with NEW line. I find it crazy how much people spend on fishing and then skemp on the last thing that they need to put fish in the boat.
                          Couldn't agree more. Line is cheap so change it often! I write the date on every spool of line I buy and keep it in a climate controlled environment. As far as braid I think it's pretty hard to beat power pro for the price. I use 65# for punching and flipping and 40-50# for heavy swimbaits and main line for Carolina rigs. I use mono for everything else.

Comment

Been using power pro for ever with no issues. I probably have a couple reels that have had the same line for 3 or 4 years. Only advice is make sure you spool it tight.

Comment

I spool my reels as needed, but not everytime I go.

Comment

Working...
                              X