Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AR/Tacticool Thread of Awesome! (AR Info here!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm liking the FDE.

Comment

Originally posted by rferg84 View Post
      Hey guys I just put an ad in the classifieds but I'll check here too, does anyone have an extra mil spec stripped lower they would want to sell? Looking for something for my next build, did anyone buy some of those blem'd Spikes Tactical and have an extra one?
      Anyone?

Comment

Both new to me this year:

Lower is a Rock River Arms with an Ace Skeleton ultra light stock and national match parts kit.

National Match 2 Stage trigger reworked by Bill Springfield, excellent trigger.

Upper is a Sabre Defense with a 16" fluted midweight stainless barrel in 5.56 chambering and a free float tube.

Aimpoint CompC3 2MOA optic

It's a blast to shoot, and really light to carry in the field. Upgrades planned are a good AR scope (leaning toward the Leupold) and LaRue QR mounts for the optics, plus a new paint job.

The shotgun is a 870 Super Mag. It's stock for now, but plan to put a picatinny foregrip on it, and an extended magazine tube for varmint hunting. During bird season, it stays just like it is...

The netting back behind the guns is my brass catcher. It catches the brass no matter how you're shooting, or what, and does a darn good job of it. Saves me a lot of time cleaning up the yard, policing brass.

Comment

From my 3-gun match this weekend:

My fighting rifle:

Some other toys:

Comment

Great looking builds Maddox and Paul! Sweet!

Sweet toys Marcus!

What lever gun is that?

Comment

looks like an upper end marlin checker pattern to me on the lever trav...i can't wait to do some of that similar training. I love iron & know more than most but have MUCHO room to what it is really all about.

I have learned one thing from Dad's build and 'ounces mean everything'...my sbr stinks in the weight dept. compared to the savings i did on his upper.

I'll have a pencil 12.5 build done in the next few weeks for another buddy & have learned from my & even dad's errors. Don't get me wrong, I have a killer compact moa build that works perfect for my application but WOW...had no idea of the cool skinny factor!!
              Last edited by Artos; 09-16-2010, 07:53 PM.

Comment

I'm a big fan of that Marlin.

Paul, I started trimming the fat on all my ladies, I love my Larue 18" but, when you throw a can on it, it is a beast. My LMT's are super light, I could upgrade them to a Troy rail to save a couple of ounces but, I'm really happy with my KAC RAS rails.

I'll never build a 10 pound plus rifle again. Well except for a 308. Which is on my list. 16" LMT MWS.

Comment

the AR's are cool but that Marlin is Uber-Kewl

that weight is a big deal, eh.
                  thats one reason I built my 6.8 up so light. Its a pleasure to tote and shoot

keep um coming...

Comment

I savvy wanting lighter cause my AR10 is a heavy son of a gun but it sure does shoot straight for a long ways and when it goes bang big pigs drop. so like other things in life, compromise.

Comment

Originally posted by mesquitecountry View Post
                      Great looking builds Maddox and Paul! Sweet!

Sweet toys Marcus!

What lever gun is that?
                      It started life as a Marlin but has had what is now called the "Brush Hawg" (plus some extras) package done to it by the fine folks at Grizzly Customs. www.grizzlycustom.com

They're finishing up another for me in .44 mag.
                      Last edited by THellURider; 09-17-2010, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by THellURider View Post
                        From my 3-gun match this weekend:

My fighting rifle:

Some other toys:

Marcus,

Where are you shooting that 3 gun match? I have been thinking of trying 3 gun but don't know where to go around DFW.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                          Marcus,

Where are you shooting that 3 gun match? I have been thinking of trying 3 gun but don't know where to go around DFW.
                          Those 2 pics are from the Tac Pro Multi-Gun match that's held twice a year. You just missed the one last weekend, next one will be sometime in May I think.

The Arkansas 3-gun is the weekend of Oct 31st. That's 4 hours from here and as of 9/3 was only 1/3rd full.

In November, I'm shooting the Tiger Valley (www.tigervalley.com) 2 man team match with a buddy. It's not strictly a 3-gun match but a competitive match that will test your skills anyway. I'll be running my sponsor's AR while my buddy who's new to long distance precision will be running his Remington 700.Shots out to 800 so you really need a .30 cal rifle, and the spotter needs a semi auto that can reach easily to 300. I shoot my AR to 500 routinely so I'm feeling good about my end of the deal. Haha should be interesting.

I'm traveling to Ft Benning in December for the Ft Benning 3-gun put on by the AMU.

Unfortunately, there's not a lot of 3-gun's around DFW but the demand for 3-gun has skyrocketed so I'm hoping there will be more next year.

There's a new range outside of Austin that has a monthly 3-gun which I will probably start hitting regularly. This is where next year's Larue Multi-gun will be held.

If you get serious about making one, let me know. Be happy to point you in the right direction. Email me though as I'm sometimes not on the green screen for months at a time.
                          Last edited by THellURider; 09-17-2010, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Ok, I will be the 1st dummy to ask 6.8 spc what is it short brass or a long brass. Like a 7.62x51 or7.62x39.?

Comment

I'm looking at getting into the semi-auto Tactical stuff. I am looking at either purchasing an AR or building one. I am not a high-volume shooter or anything, but I just want one for occasional plinking and hog hunting. If I buy one straight out what brands should I look at? Which ones should I stay away from? How hard is it to but the lower, upper, and barrel and package myself. Aside from the upper and lower what other pieces do I need for a complete functional rife? Does the trigger assembly come with the lower? Does the upper include the barrel? As you can see, I'm a total novice at this....

Comment

Originally posted by J.B. View Post
                                I'm looking at getting into the semi-auto Tactical stuff. I am looking at either purchasing an AR or building one. I am not a high-volume shooter or anything, but I just want one for occasional plinking and hog hunting. If I buy one straight out what brands should I look at? Which ones should I stay away from? How hard is it to but the lower, upper, and barrel and package myself. Aside from the upper and lower what other pieces do I need for a complete functional rife? Does the trigger assembly come with the lower? Does the upper include the barrel? As you can see, I'm a total novice at this....
                                Putting the lower together is SIMPLE. The upper is a little more difficult unless you have the correct tools.

How much do you want to spend?

Do you want to build a tactical rifle that will also function as a hunting rifle or are you just interested in a hunting rifle?

A great place to start is Bravo Company (BCM) for a complete upper. Or, you can purchase a complete upper from Noveske right now and they will give you a free lower.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                                X