Who has gone back for MBA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who has gone back for MBA

After being laid off for 2months now. I have started considering going back to school for an MBA.

My current degree is Petroleum Engineering with a minor in Business through A&M.

I’m starting to look at online MBA courses and would like some references if someone has done this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would love to- have never been able to commit to studying for the gmat . A boss of mine who I admired told me to really get your moneys worth - shoot for in class vs. online . To really get the most out of the material. Unless you’re literally just in it for a piece of paper and a tag to put on your linked in.

Comment

I went to graduate school for an MBA five years after I got my undergrad. This was in 1987, I had just passed the CPA exam and I was working full time in the GNO area. I did one course a semester for two years before I was laid off and moved to Dallas. My intention was to finish it up here, but that never happened unfortunately.

I was single at the time so I had that going in my favor. I think I would have done it if there were online courses back then.

But, you need to ask yourself, IMO, what you want out of life and does an MBA fit into that plan.

Comment

I am encouraging my wife to go back for her MBA. She has a degree in international business management. She works for a major insurance company that will pay up to $6K per year on classes. She is worried that it will interfere too much with our day to day lives with her having to study and work on it. I hope some responses will shed some light on the work load. She is brilliant, so doing the work wouldnt be a problem, but the time constraints and cost is what she is concerned with.

Comment

Originally posted by eastxhunter View Post
          Would love to- have never been able to commit to studying for the gmat . A boss of mine who I admired told me to really get your moneys worth - shoot for in class vs. online . To really get the most out of the material. Unless you’re literally just in it for a piece of paper and a tag to put on your linked in.

I will say right now a lot of schools are waiving the GMAT due to COvid and are taking SAT or ACT scores.

I have taken quite a few online courses during my time at A&M and I do think they are very comparable if you plan to put the work in for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've always understood one of the most valuable aspects of an MBA is networking, which isn't something you'll get working online.

Comment

I don't have an MBA but do have a Master's degree that included some crossover courses with the MBA track.

By far the most valuable aspects of grad school to me were the cross-functional projects & discussions with people in different industries. The projects and structure of grad school were significantly better than the undergrad structure in my opinion.

I took my fair share of online courses during undergrad, and I don't think I would have had the same experience with a 100% online Master's program. The Zoom/Skype/Blackboard/chatroom type tools can help with some of those discussions, but in my experience online vs. brick & mortar is a different dynamic even though it's the same content. You can be successful in both, but it's definitely a different dynamic.

If you can swing it and it's available, I'd recommend a hybrid-type program where you can do some work online but still attend a couple of the classes. Most are one evening per week for a couple hours. Networking was also mentioned previously, which is another big benefit as well.

You'll get the piece of paper at the end of it either way. Just a few things to think about, while you're thinking about an MBA

Comment

I’ve been looking at a couple that are online and then one weekend a month in class. I just can’t decide if $60-100k is worth it

Comment

It depends on the line of work you want to be in. Most of the guys in my company with my same job have engineering undergrad and an MBA. I just have a Bachelors in Business and very well compared to them. For some it's worth it and some it's not.

Comment

I went back to school to get my MBA 6 years after graduating from my undergrad. I went through Webster University and liked it alot. I look night and weekend classes because it was all in-class. i'm sure they have on-line classes too.
                    I thought it would be hard to get back into it but after the first couple of classes it went by really quick. Took me 2 years but that is because i was only taking 1 class per semester at first to get my feet wet.
                    Last edited by Kenner97; 05-14-2020, 02:07 PM. Reason: add

Comment

I got an MBA in 1989, from U.T. Permian Basin, while working for Mobil Oil. Interesting course work. The degree adds to ones marketability.

Comment

Originally posted by WBT View Post
                        I've always understood one of the most valuable aspects of an MBA is networking, which isn't something you'll get working online.
                        This.

I was finalizing my company funding for an Executive MBA when the bottom fell out of the market.

I couldn’t justify return on the $100K investment, but if the company was willing to foot the bill, why not. It was going to be a nut kick working 50 hours a week though.

I hope I get back on track next year.

Comment

I’ll throw my $0.02 in here. MBA grad from SMU in 2007.
                          Have a really clear end point/goal for your MBA. REALLY CLEAR! Of all my classmates, the ones who had a clear vision of what was post MBA are the most successful by far. When I say really clear, I mean a laser focus, and have it from the get go. Forget online degrees. You get an MBA obtain a network, otherwise, it’s a piece of paper. If you’ve ever watched Good Will Hunting during the bar scene where he talks about “education you coulda got for a dollah fifty in late chahges from the public libry”.... there’s a lot of truth to that. Get in the class room. Rub shoulders with colleagues and professors. GET INVOLVED. Be the class president, VP, or whatever. Do all the out of classroom things; happy hours, after hour learnings, etc. It’s not a cheap thing to do. Aside from monetary commitments, the time commitment is taxing in your psyche, your social life, your family life and your hunting time.
                          If you commit to it, commit 100%. Those are the ones that succeed in the classroom and post MBA.
                          For me, all this is a “hindsight is 20/20” talk. The most important thing is having a laser vision to what you want afterwards. This will guide your class work selection and get you to rub shoulders with the ones that can help you most.
                          Cheers

J

Comment

Originally posted by eastxhunter View Post
                            My thoughts as well---and if I was a youngster still working, I'd be after an MBA for myself. Wasn't a "must have" in my Army career however, so just abut any MS degree was OK.

Comment

I’m currently attending A&M chorpus Christi online for my MBA. 7 week courses and is fast paced and most classes so far are hard. Pretty stiff workload. But will double up some classes and be done next September. Entire program costs about $15k.

Comment

Working...
                              X