Travel trailer coupler won’t latch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel trailer coupler won’t latch

I went to pick up a small travel trailer I purchased on here and the coupler won’t latch. I changed a tire and aired up the rest and left the trailer there as I was afraid of it coming off of my truck. Can someone tell me if the bolt on top of the trailer will adjust the latch. I didn’t have any tools with me so I was unable to try it. I have pulled a bunch of trailers over the years but I’ve never had this problem with this style coupler. Thanks for any help you can afford me!
    Attached Files

Looks latched to me, jack it up with it in the latched position and see if it comes off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you look at the first picture it’s all the way down but the latch part is too far forward. The second picture it’s not all the way down and the latch part is barely sitting in the holes. If you barely touch it it will come out of the latch holes.

Comment

Jack it up and work it some. Lube it if you have some penetrating oil. A few light taps with a hammer might help too.

Comment

Comment

The nose is bent in from backing into it with the truck. A big hammer will fix that. A couple of whacks on the front of the latck part.will straighten it.
            Last edited by Walker; 10-03-2018, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Drive forward about a foot after lube. It will loosen itself up and should pop down. Just needs a little persuasion. If you look closely, your ball isn't sitting in the center of the receiver. Once you pull forward, assuming its not rusted tight, it will slide right in to place.

Comment

Wrong size ball ?? Just asking I have done it a 2 inch will go in but not latch if its a 1 7/8 I had one odd ball trailer all 2 inch and one was a smaller size . Sold that one a few years ago but that is what it would do .

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                  Drive forward about a foot after lube. It will loosen itself up and should pop down. Just needs a little persuasion. If you look closely, your ball isn't sitting in the center of the receiver. Once you pull forward, assuming its not rusted tight, it will slide right in to place.
                  Thanks, but the trailer was buried on the ball and I had already sprayed it and pulled forward. The latch will move back and forth easily but it won’t latch. I think it’s like the other post said it’s bent.

Comment

I'm no help but was always a fan of those couplers.

Comment

Originally posted by HDWRENCH View Post
                      Wrong size ball ?? Just asking I have done it a 2 inch will go in but not latch if its a 1 7/8 I had one odd ball trailer all 2 inch and one was a smaller size . Sold that one a few years ago but that is what it would do .
                      I will try it! It says 2 inch on the tongue and it sits on the ball nicely. However, when you push the coupler all the way forward the two lock tongs end up too far forward.

Comment

Originally posted by HDWRENCH View Post
                        This was my thought

Comment

Originally posted by parkchief100 View Post
                          Thanks, but the trailer was buried on the ball and I had already sprayed it and pulled forward. The latch will move back and forth easily but it won’t latch. I think it’s like the other post said it’s bent.
                          Yes its bent. I can see it in the picture. The whole front should be straight up and down. The tang part that the latch connects to is bent forward. Hammer will fix it. Wont take much.

Comment

It is latched in the first pic. The keeper is either bent or rusted up keeping it from folding down into the slots but it is latched onto the ball

Comment

BFH will fix that right up.

Comment

Working...
                              X