Let's talk Labrador Colors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's talk Labrador Colors

This is just a FYI post and not ment to stir up a fight. I've seen multiple postings for labs that are white, silver, gray, etc. Labs only come in three colors: black, yellow, and chocolate. Yes, there are variations on the colors, but there are only three colors of labs. My son is intent on getting a Yellow that is Fox Red, but that doesn't make it a Fox Red lab.....just sayin'. Here are the AKC standards:

Color
    The Labrador Retriever coat colors are black, yellow and chocolate. Any other color or a combination of colors is a disqualification. A small white spot on the chest is permissible, but not desirable. White hairs from aging or scarring are not to be misinterpreted as brindling. Black--Blacks are all black. A black with brindle markings or a black with tan markings is a disqualification. Yellow--Yellows may range in color from fox-red to light cream, with variations in shading on the ears, back, and underparts of the dog. Chocolate--Chocolates can vary in shade from light to dark chocolate. Chocolate with brindle or tan markings is a disqualification.

With that being said, I've had people nearly come to blows over a yellow with a pink nose which is a disqualification (see below).

Nose-- The nose should be wide and the nostrils well-developed. The nose should be black on black or yellow dogs, and brown on chocolates. Nose color fading to a lighter shade is not a fault. A thoroughly pink nose or one lacking in any pigment is a disqualification.

I just wanted to get this off my chest, it has been bugging me for a while now.

Regardless, get a puppy (or dog) that you like, work with it, love it, and teach it and it will pay you back many times over.

Thanks for letting me vent.

The original standard for a lab was a coat of a solid color-AKC did some DNA testing on silver labs and AKC said there was no reason to doubt that the silver labs were pure labs

In other words yes there are silver labs

I am not a professional don't even own a lab but have researched this before when my buddy and I disagreed

Comment

You are correct on the colors and disqualifcations but getting people to change what they call them is like pulling teeth. Breeding of dogs has allways be in the owners best intrest (My opinion ) not the breeds intrest . That's how a henize57 now has their own registry someone found a nitch and people bought in to it.

Comment

I love my silver colored chocolate lab.

Comment

Nice looking dog Peacock!

Comment

Originally posted by Storm View Post
            Nice looking dog Peacock!
            Thanks! She's spoiled rotten

Comment

I have a registered Fox Red lab that will be 2 in Jan..........only has one speed WIDE OPEN but love her.

Comment

I have a red fox. I am well aware that it is a color variation of a yellow lab, but it is so much easier to say "red lab" rather than "red fox colored yellow lab". Us Texans are good at shortening phrases to make it easier for us to say...
                Attached Files
                Last edited by CastAndBlast; 12-19-2013, 04:03 PM.

Comment

I like em white! Well I at least like this white one..

Click image for larger version

Name:	P2250132.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	24272946

Name:	P1010155.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	24272947

Of course hunting dirties them up a bit..

Name:	Abby6.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	24272948

Name:	On watch.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	24272949

Name:	Abby with Widgeon.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	24272950

Name:	Abby2.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	24272952
                  Last edited by Smart; 12-19-2013, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    I like em white! Well I at least like this white one..

[ATTACH]582142[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]582143[/ATTACH]

Of course hunting dirties them up a bit..

[ATTACH]582144[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]582145[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]582146[/ATTACH]
                    Beautiful animal sir.

Comment

Once you go black, you never go back!

Comment

Love my yellow lab

Comment

I want a chocolate lab so bad!

Comment

Couldn't ask for bttr hunting buddy! Charcoal (AKC black).
                            Attached Files

Comment

The way I look at it, is if you want a show dog for AKC shows, it must be solid color with a small white dot allowed on it's chest.

If you want a hunting dog, it's your preference of color based on which you believe will git 'r done the best, and what you think looks best.

Our yellow female got the white from her Dad (my son's lab) and is 2-tone. She's beautiful (at least strangers have said that and I agree) but she'd be disqualified from an AKC show- which doesn't matter to me. He mother was red, and I'm hoping some of the red comes with her adult coat after she sheds this winter coat.

I wanted a chocolate lab, I love the green eyes, but the 2 yellow lab parents only had 9 yellow lab puppies.

Comment

Working...
                              X