Oilfield Guys-North Dakota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oilfield Guys-North Dakota

I am going to North Dakota at the end of June for a week. Was wondering if any of y'all were up there? I know some of you have been before. This will be my first trip up there and just don't know what to expect.

My company is sending me up there to work with the local territory manager and the local supply houses and to make sales calls. From what I am understanding it is pretty wild up there right now. Anyone have any insight?

HA! I'm headed up there on Monday for the summer. Have spent a few weeks there in the last couple of months.

First, where are you staying? That's the biggest factor in what your experience will be like.

Be prepared for a lot of traffic and very little infrastructure. There are hardly any grocery stores or restaurants. It's been raining the last two weeks so everything is a muddy mess. When it's not raining, the wind blows 90 mph and there's dirt EVERYWHERE. There's very little law and fights are pretty common along with crime. Women don't go out after dark.

Just imagine a city of 1000 people that overnight has 20,000. There just isn't enough infrastructure to support it. People are living in their cars. It's crazy town.

Comment

Originally posted by Lady Archer View Post
      HA! I'm headed up there on Monday for the summer. Have spent a few weeks there in the last couple of months.

First, where are you staying? That's the biggest factor in what your experience will be like.

Be prepared for a lot of traffic and very little infrastructure. There are hardly any grocery stores or restaurants. It's been raining the last two weeks so everything is a muddy mess. When it's not raining, the wind blows 90 mph and there's dirt EVERYWHERE. There's very little law and fights are pretty common along with crime. Women don't go out after dark.

Just imagine a city of 1000 people that overnight has 20,000. There just isn't enough infrastructure to support it. People are living in their cars. It's crazy town.
      Aside from the part about a place to stay, this was not my experience at all...

Comment

I don't know where we are staying yet. I am flying into Fargo, ND and I am assuming we are headed to Williston and Minot

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
          Aside from the part about a place to stay, this was not my experience at all...
          Yeah, it depends a lot on where you're staying. I'm based out of Watford City and work on the reservation a lot. So that's where most of my experience is. Williston is getting a lot better, and of course, if you're in Bismark it's not bad at all. But most of the places I've been up there are pretty remote and primitive.

Comment

Problem is Steve is from east Texas, and ND don't sound that much different.....minus the trees!

Comment

Williston and Minot aren't bad at all. You shouldn't have any trouble.

My company issued me a tazer when they saw where I was staying.

I plan on lending a hand in the fight against the ruthless plague of prairie dogs while I'm there. It stays dark until after 10 this time of year. PLENTY of stalking time.

The fishing is supposed to be awesome, too. Some monster walleye and trout come out of the lake on the rez. It's over 200-feet deep.

Comment

Send Bowhica a pm (Darrell). He's been working up there for a while.

Comment

Williston and Minot aren't bad at all. You shouldn't have any trouble.

My company issued me a tazer when they saw where I was staying.

I plan on lending a hand in the fight against the ruthless plague of prairie dogs while I'm there. It stays dark until after 10 this time of year. PLENTY of stalking time.

The fishing is supposed to be awesome, too. Some monster walleye and trout come out of the lake on the rez. It's over 200-feet deep.
                  What kind of work are you doing there?

Comment

My wife is scheduled for a visit up there in June that. so far, she can't get out of, but I don't have anything to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by ckuehl View Post
                      What kind of work are you doing there?
                      I work for a mid-stream oil/gas company and we're building out a bunch of gas and a few crude lines. I'm managing the environmental permitting.

Comment

Have fun!

Comment

I work for a mid-stream oil/gas company and we're building out a bunch of gas and a few crude lines. I'm managing the environmental permitting.
                          I love the oil and gas industry. Wish I was more hands on sometimes. Is that Martin Mid Stream?

Comment

Unfortunately I doubt I will get to do much of anything fun. This is a work trip. I can see though that this will probably be my first of many trips up there

Comment

Originally posted by ckuehl View Post
                              I love the oil and gas industry. Wish I was more hands on sometimes. Is that Martin Mid Stream?
                              No.
                              And I hear you. I'm so glad to be getting out of Houston and the office for the summer. But you'd better believe I'll be home before the first snow falls.

Comment

Working...
                              X