Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking a Hind Quarter

Anybody done it/do it?

I've got a large hind quarter from a Kansas deer that I'd like to smoke. Shanks are cut off, so it's basically a giant ham. Anybody have any pointers and if you've done it, how'd it turn out?

They turn out great. Season it up and smoke it low and slow.

Comment

Smoke on low heat for a couple hours or so, then wrap it up in foil and smoke it till its done.

Comment

Originally posted by spikebuck View Post
        They turn out great. Season it up and smoke it low and slow.
        Making this sound promising already!

Any particular temps you like to stick with? Smoker temps and internal meat temps?

Comment

Drink 2 beers. Season meat. Drink 2 beers. Light pit. Drink 2 beers. Throw meat on pit. Drink 9 beers. But meat in foil pan. Add 1/2 stick of butter. Add a splash of beer. Cover pan with two layers foil. Put back on pit. Drink 9 more beers. Eat.

[emoji12]

Skinny

Comment

I did one around 250° and wrapped it after a couple of hours. Left it in till it started fall apart tender, added a little apple juice when wrapped. Turned out good, tastey and juicy.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
              Drink 2 beers. Season meat. Drink 2 beers. Light pit. Drink 2 beers. Throw meat on pit. Drink 9 beers. But meat in foil pan. Add 1/2 stick of butter. Add a splash of beer. Cover pan with two layers foil. Put back on pit. Drink 9 more beers. Eat.

[emoji12]

Skinny
              Almost a case, never tried a hind quarter but no way I would be awake for the feast.... I know I'm getting old. Just can't hang with you young guys any more.

Comment

Originally posted by flinger View Post
                Almost a case, never tried a hind quarter but no way I would be awake for the feast.... I know I'm getting old. Just can't hang with you young guys any more.

Haha! Adjust quantity accordingly. I'm not a huge fan of smoking deer quarters...I prefer pig on the pit myself.

Skinny

Comment

I'm with Skinny on this--though I do love smoked 'straps.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post

[emoji12]

Skinny
                    Yep definitely gonna have to try this method!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

I usually do this with medium wild pig hams but never a deer. I have always worried about drying it out due to them being so lean.

Comment

Same as mhunter6. Always thought it would dry out?

Comment

Use lots of paprika smoked over mesquite, wrapped in a foil pan.

Comment

yesterday I chowed down on some venison boudin that was made with the venison smoked before it was mixed......was epic and will try this myself....just an FYI on what you can do with the leftover smoked Venison!

Comment

I like to inject them with Tony Chacheres Cajun Butter marinade then slow smoke it

Comment

Working...
                              X