Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reflections from a guy that normally buys a bow each year...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reflections from a guy that normally buys a bow each year...

I got into archery back in 2010.. Since then, I've bought a new bow, (or several) each year. This entire time, I haven't been able to get rid of my original compound that I started with, a 2011 Bear Mauler. This year, after looking over my budget, I decided that it was either a new bow, or an elk hunt. Easy decision, Elk it is.

So it got me thinking... do I really need a new bow? I'm getting 265fps with a 460gr arrow, and I'm shooting better than I ever have. This is ironic, because I've owned 6 different bows, AND HERE I AM WITH WHAT I STARTED WITH.

I've thrown about 200 worth of accessories on this thing, and it feels like a completely different bow.

Anyone else ever go through this same weird experience with compounds?

Not personally, but I have a friend who still hunts with his mathews mustang.

Comment

I shot the same bow for nearly 8 years. I would still be shooting it but I ran across a good deal on another, so that one was sold and continues to kill animals for my buddy.

Comment

I have been hunting with the same bow for three seasons now. I started with a PSE Bruin, a Reflex Growler, Bowtech 82nd Airborne, Bowtech Admiral, and now a Bowtech AirRaid. Best bow I have ever shot. I bought my last five bows from Double G archery. I may just get a new one for a homecoming present

Comment

I did the same thing for the first few years.

It didn't take me long to realize that I could be killing stuff with that money.

I still shoot my 2006 (or 07) Mathews Switchback XT and a 2007 Elite Synergy.

Comment

Live and learn! With the technology in this industry now most high-end bows are within single digit % of eachother! Go kill stuff is my honest recommendation!

Comment

2008 black ice, yeah just learned to retool, restring.

Comment

Still shooting my Z7. See no reason to change since it gets the job done and I like everything about it

Comment

Just curious, why would you buy a new bow every year? How many hunts would you get with each bow before you started with a new one? Not judging, just interested in your reasoning.

Comment

When I release it goes where I want and in a hurry....No need for a new one.

Comment

Used to think I could more stuff with a new bow but it never worked out. I started working smarter at being a good hunter and was a lot more successful. Now I buy a new one every 10 years or so because I get the itch, but not because I need to. Used to do the same thing with vehicles thinking it made me more of a catch. That didn't work either!!

Comment

I don't like to change my setups, once I teach to go where I am I pointing it I hang onto it for years.
                        I started bowhunting 30 years ago and started out with a Bear Whitetail Hunter lol.
                        I've only changed bows about 4 (maybe 5) times since way back then.

Confidence in your equipment means a lot to me when it comes to being accurate.
                        I am currently shooting a Z7 and will be for the next several years.

Comment

I started with a Hoyt XTEC and then went to a Trykon and then Alphamax and thought about a Carbon Element and instead went back to the XTEC which is what I felt I shot the best with and it fits me perfect and I plan on hanging on to it for a while.

Comment

Nope still shooting my Martin Lynx bought new in the late 80's early 90's, at Gibsons for around $190.00 decked out ready to shoot.

Comment

I've been bow hunting since '02 and only on my 4th bow.
                              Started with PSE, then a Hoyt Ultra, then a Hoyt Trykon now shooting a Bowtech Guardian. If the Trykon hadn't been stolen I might still be shooting it, I loved that bow.

That being said I do have the itch again but I won't buy new, I prefer to reap the benefits of guys that buy a new one every year, so keep trading up!

Comment

Working...
                              X