No announcement yet.

Thoughts on lowboy trailer/needing help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short trips, lots of maneuvering and pulling with your SxS all benefit from single axle. Tandem will pull much better for long trips.

Ride should be about the same for both if spring rates are done correctly. Ie, single 4000lb compared to tandem 2000lb.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
      I just had a 14' single axle built to haul my ATV and SXS at the same time.

I stuck with a single axle for ease of backing up loaded or unloaded (IMO) and easier to moving around when empty.

If I could have it built over again I would insist on enough tire gap space to fit a 225 tire instead of the 205's that are on it. I put D rated Goodyears on it last week (to replace the C's pictured here), if I could squeeze 225's I could go E rated.
      I still might try once I cut the angle iron over the tire to match the fender well.

I had a blowout once on my last single axle on the way to the lease w/ Ranger & atv on board. The tire went pow, I pulled over and changed it- no drama involved even though it was a single axle (One reason I see people saying to go tandem).

BTW, There was a great deal on here on a tandem 12' last week- it might still be in the classifieds.
      Nice trailer David, but I can see where you are coming with the dove tail being low to the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Wil Taylor View Post
        Nice trailer David, but I can see where you are coming with the dove tail being low to the ground.

Thanks, I put a lower hitch on my truck which helped some- but still draggin azz too much for my liking.

Here’s some numbers for you- When I went to pick it up reset my trucks trip meter and lollygaged over to Spring from Crosby - Mpgs were sitting on 22.4 when I got there.

I reset it for the drive home, and that trailer empty plus some traffic pulled a 16.1.
        Them dang ramps drag some wind- and I had those cut low (32”) to slide under my 5er front end when wiggling into the backyard. Which works, albeit barely.
        Hmm, better not jack this baby up too much....,.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Last edited by DaveC; 04-19-2018, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
          Trailers are generally spring under axle so a spacer will not help. Swapping to spring over will produce over 3” if lift which will look silly IMO.

Since swapping the axle isn’t ideal- can this plate be removed or exchanged for a shorter one ( if a shorter one exist?)

I just checked the pressure on my new tires and they both seem to be down by 5 pounds each, that might be all I need to make them look better when loaded down. Weight wise they should be fine.
          Last edited by DaveC; 04-19-2018, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Since swapping the axle isn’t ideal- can this plate be removed or exchanged for a shorter one ( if a shorter one exist?)

I just checked the pressure on my new tires and they both seem to be down by 5 pounds each, that might be all I need to make them look better when loaded down. Weight wise they should be fine.

That’s about as short as they get.

Comment

Built a homemade 12” with tandem 3,500 lb axels years ago and put the axels all the way to the rear. Absolutely LOVED that trailer, but she was sold during divorce.
              Just finished a remodel on a 24’ with 7,500 lb axels and went with springs over axels for clearance when hauling feed thru the low water crossings out west at the lease. Totally love my 24’, but miss the convenience and ease of my 12’ tandem. Would love to build another, but so many irons in the fire.

My 24’:

Comment

That’s about as short as they get.

Hmm, that picture disappeared.

What’s all involved with flipping the axle - pull the tires, 4 nuts off the u-bolts- swap it around and bolt it back up?

Comment

Hmm, that picture disappeared.

What’s all involved with flipping the axle - pull the tires, 4 nuts off the u-bolts- swap it around and bolt it back up?

May or may not have to flip center bolt in spring pack as well. Often the hole in the spring seat is not big enough to seat around the nut.

Comment

Trailers are generally spring under axle so a spacer will not help. Swapping to spring over will produce over 3” if lift which will look silly IMO.
                    It does look silly IMO too. I’m not too concerned about looks though. My trailers spend a considerable amount of time in the mountains, and the clearance is needed. I’m tired of dragging the rear. I’ve ran a few axle under trailers in the past, and swapped one so far. They help alleviate the problem for the most part.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                      It does look silly IMO too. I’m not too concerned about looks though. My trailers spend a considerable amount of time in the mountains, and the clearance is needed. I’m tired of dragging the rear. I’ve ran a few axle under trailers in the past, and swapped one so far. They help alleviate the problem for the most part.

Same for me. Being able to clear the end going thru low water crossings or over rock terrain is much more beneficial to me. Have never seen any difference in pulling either. For any trailer that sees off-road use. springs over axles is the way to go. Not to mention the extra added tire clearance to fenders is nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucksaw View Post
                        If you are putting a Samurai on it, go dual. That is probably pretty close to the max weight of a single 3500lb axle.
                        This, crew ranger isn’t bad but a Sammy is pretty good load for a single axle utility trailer.

Comment

I have a buddy in Brackettville with 12'6" tandem for sale with drop deck and 4' folding rear gate.

Comment

Since I piggybacked on Wils thread, I thought I would throw this here.

For the time being I elected to upgrade spring and tires to better match my load. I now I have 2400 pounds springs and 2800 pound rated E class tires.
                            This only leaves me one inch of fender well Grace- hopefully the load wont compress the spring that much.
                            I ended up with 9 inches of clearance at the dovetail one loaded
                            I’m on my maiden voyage now to find out.

Comment

For the time being I elected to upgrade spring and tires to better match my load. I now I have 2400 pounds springs and 2800 pound rated E class tires.
                              This only leaves me one inch of fender well Grace- hopefully the load wont compress the spring that much.

Let us know how it works for U....

Comment

If you are looking for an inch or two of lift, your best option is to look at where the spring hanger, and shackle mount to the frame....and figure out how to drop them some.

Also, most trailer axles are crowned, so flipping it to make the spring perches on top is going to cause problems. Not all are crowned though.

Comment

Working...
                                X