Reducing draw weight on a longbow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reducing draw weight on a longbow?

Have any of you had a bowyer take a bow that was too much weight for you and rework it to reduce the poundage? If so, did it effect the feel (Obviously light weight but more so regarding the smoothness). Do you feel it was worth it or would you have rather just traded for the same bow that was initially built with a lighter draw weight?

Not sure if it matters but I have a 1 piece bow that is 60# and would love for it to be adjusted down in weight.

Please let me know your thoughts and experiences.

The max you can typically reduce a bow is around 10 percent this of course is dependent on design and could be less

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

On my bows at least there is no loss in feel and comfort. In fact when you reduce the weight you take excess mass off of the corners of the limbs. The reduction in mass increases the efficiency of the limb. The corners of the limb typically "work" less than the rest, so when you make the limb shape into a trapezoid it results in the most efficient limb style. We call this "Trapping" the limb

Comment

It depends on how much you want to take off and what kind of bow it is. Like was said before, around 10% is max.
        If it was a bow with some significant resale, I would probably leave as is and sell it. If a high dollar bow and can be remarked and refinished to look like new at a good price, then I would have the original bowyer do it. (I did that once with a Toelke) and it was well worth it.
        If I really liked that particular bow, and it didn't have significant resale or collector value, I would probably just do it myself.
        If it is a production bow that you can get the desired draw weight fairly easily, I would just sell it and get another one used.

Comment

I have had 10# taken off a 55# longbow, and less taken off several other bows. All of them were much better with the weight taken off because they were taken to a weight where I have much better control over my shot.

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Cwag View Post
            On my bows at least there is no loss in feel and comfort. In fact when you reduce the weight you take excess mass off of the corners of the limbs. The reduction in mass increases the efficiency of the limb. The corners of the limb typically "work" less than the rest, so when you make the limb shape into a trapezoid it results in the most efficient limb style. We call this "Trapping" the limb

This!!

Comment

Originally posted by El Paisano View Post
              It depends on how much you want to take off and what kind of bow it is. Like was said before, around 10% is max.
              If it was a bow with some significant resale, I would probably leave as is and sell it. If a high dollar bow and can be remarked and refinished to look like new at a good price, then I would have the original bowyer do it. (I did that once with a Toelke) and it was well worth it.
              If I really liked that particular bow, and it didn't have significant resale or collector value, I would probably just do it myself.
              If it is a production bow that you can get the desired draw weight fairly easily, I would just sell it and get another one used.
              It is a Pronghorn 1 piece longbow. I was going to call Herb this evening once I had the serial # in case he needed it. His website request that you call in the evening anyhow as he is building bows during the day.

I just wasn't sure if it was a hit or miss when done but it sounds like it works out just fine when people have done this. I like the bow but not wanting to spend a ton. What does it usually cost to have the poundage reduced? (Ball park)

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                I have had 10# taken off a 55# longbow, and less taken off several other bows. All of them were much better with the weight taken off because they were taken to a weight where I have much better control over my shot.

Bisch
                That is impressive. I did not know that they could be reduced that much. I agree on being able to shoot them better with the more manageable draw weight.

Comment

The one I had reduced 10# was a bow where I bit off more than I could chew when I ordered it. I could not work up to that weight, so I had it reduced 5#. It was still very uncomfortable, so I asked for 5 more pounds. The bowyer advised he was not sure that it would not ruin the bow. I told him to go ahead and try because I was never going to like it the way it was. After the second 5# reduction, that bow became one of the most killingest hunting bows I have ever had!!!!

Bisch

Comment

Just talked to Herb Meland. He is a great guy to talk to. He said he would feel comfortable taking off a couple of pounds but that the bow was probably 30 years old or so. I would want to knock off 6# to 8# before I felt comfortable with it. Do y'all know anyone down here in TX that might tinker with it and try to reduce the weight some? I am not great with woodworking so I know I am not going to try it.

Comment

I had a Robertson Buffalo model that was 71# and wanted to take it down to 60#. After taking it down, it was only 47#. It has been the bow I loan out when people want to try a long bow. It is always a problem getting it back as it shoots great for every one.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                        I had a Robertson Buffalo model that was 71# and wanted to take it down to 60#. After taking it down, it was only 47#. It has been the bow I loan out when people want to try a long bow. It is always a problem getting it back as it shoots great for every one.
                        Who took it down for you? I have been trying to going contact info for bowdoc (retired) and the bow hospital (can't open the site) anyone in TX that can do this for me? It is a nice bow but useless for me at the weight...

Comment

Working...
                        X