No announcement yet.

Arrow setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 125s are partially my fault. I sent him multiple arrow spine, length and head combinations. 500s at 29" with 125s was one of them. We felt that was a little short/ head close to the hand. The last one was what I just posted.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Send me your address Jarret and I'll mail you some 175 grain field points to try.

Comment

Its not so much that i got stuck on 125 gr heads, but that is what Bowzone had at the time when i purchased my arrows.
        During some talks with Gary about customizing an arrow for my setup. I wanted about as heavy an arrow as i could get, without decreasing the effectiveness of my bow. We spoke about a 400 spine which is a little heavier than 500 and leaving it around 30.5"

At that point, i tried it out and they flew good. Not that i would really know what a good flight out of trad gear looks like compared to poor. But Joey, the tech at the shop, agreed he did not see any tail whip either and it looked like a dart. So i just kind of stuck with it. Knowing i wanted more weight upfront for hunting, i posted this thread to get some more insight from others.

To me, it looks good when i shoot but i have yet to try a broadhead out of a recurve. Which i wanted to truly tune to the best of my ability for hunting purposes (which isnt very much at the moment) before buying any broadheads. I'll try some heavier field tips and see where that takes me first

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
          Send me your address Jarret and I'll mail you some 175 grain field points to try.

Thanks Gary, but i already had some on order to play around and test with.

Appreciate the offer

Comment

I think you will find most archery shops slighty light on stuff for traditional archers. The percentage of us vs compound shooters is small.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
              Its not so much that i got stuck on 125 gr heads, but that is what Bowzone had at the time when i purchased my arrows.
              During some talks with Gary about customizing an arrow for my setup. I wanted about as heavy an arrow as i could get, without decreasing the effectiveness of my bow. We spoke about a 400 spine which is a little heavier than 500 and leaving it around 30.5"

At that point, i tried it out and they flew good. Not that i would really know what a good flight out of trad gear looks like compared to poor. But Joey, the tech at the shop, agreed he did not see any tail whip either and it looked like a dart. So i just kind of stuck with it. Knowing i wanted more weight upfront for hunting, i posted this thread to get some more insight from others.

To me, it looks good when i shoot but i have yet to try a broadhead out of a recurve. Which i wanted to truly tune to the best of my ability for hunting purposes (which isnt very much at the moment) before buying any broadheads. I'll try some heavier field tips and see where that takes me first
              you should come to one of the local 3-d shoots, usually a few of us are there and happy to help.

Golden Triangle is having one this Saturday.

Banana Bend is having a TBOT shoot on Saturday the 10th and a regular shoot the 11th

Brazoria (Angleton) has one on June 17th

Buffalo Tbot shoot on June 18th

All have us have shot the wrong spined arrow for longer than we care to admit.

Comment

Buffalo isnt too far from the house.
                I'll try my best to make one or more of these.

Comment

I've observed that what is wrong to one may not be for another. Personally I like a bit of upfront weight but I'm not going to shoot 160fps when a perfectly workable set up will get me 185fps. Speed counts too if only for a manageable trajectory.

Comment

Not according to the 3rivers calculator. Although 175 grains up front would be better.

Gary, change that point weight to 125 and see what the numbers say...

Comment

Unless those shafts are pretty heavy or you have a heavy insert I'm not seeing where you are even close to 450 grains. Maybe 420. I don't even think about using 400 spine until I exceed 50 pounds draw weight which would be a 47 or 48 pound bow for me. I shot full length 500s with 125 up front for several years out of a 45 pound bow with no problems. I now cut my arrows to about 30" and have 145 and 175 up front depending on which bow I am using.

Comment

I understand. That was the point of my posts. But typing while driving I may have not been thorough.

Comment

Not according to the 3rivers calculator. Although 175 grains up front would be better.

Dude... that is way off. I just put his info into the calculator and got

56.8 for the bow.
                          77 for the arrows he described.

I am not sure why you didn't select Carbon Express Heritage 250s in the drop down. Maybe that had something to do with it. The calculator is a bit fidgety and you can't use that without thinking about it.

Those arrows are too stiff... by a pretty big margin. (but I knew that from experience before entering the calculator... 45-50# sages use CX150s.
                          Last edited by SwampRabbit; 05-31-2017, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

If they are a 250 spine but he said they are a 400 spine.

Comment

the carbon express heritage 250 (250 is the their own labeling, .391 spine as per the CE website) are 10.20 GPI and im shooting them almost full length. Cut right at 30.5" with 125 grain head, 15 grain insert.

From what feedback i have, the arrow is too stiff so i need to add weight up front. What else am i missing? the groups i am getting are sub-par but for a beginner, im just happy i can hit the target

Will an extra 50 grains make that much of a difference for me to notice them at my level of experience?

Comment

Working...
                                X