Please explain to me what happened!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please explain to me what happened!

A month ago, when everything was greening out, I took advantage of it and planted one plot and limed the other. I went to the lease today to survey my results....I was floored. Nothing! Not one bean had sprouted. When I planted, it rained the next day, perfect! I put 2 camera on the plot to survey for hogs. 1 boar, he was in and gone, not much damage.

Can anyone explain what happened? I am at a loss for what happened.

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
    A month ago, when everything was greening out, I took advantage of it and planted one plot and limed the other. I went to the lease today to survey my results....I was floored. Nothing! Not one bean had sprouted. When I planted, it rained the next day, perfect! I put 2 camera on the plot to survey for hogs. 1 boar, he was in and gone, not much damage.

Can anyone explain what happened? I am at a loss for what happened.
    Patience grasshopper

Comment

Sometimes a hard rain will drive the seed down deeper. If it gets too deep it's over.

Comment

Would think they will still sprout.

Comment

I'm surprised nothing came up. Here in central La. it has been unusually warm March so I would have expected something. I have had early planted beans jump up then rot when the ground got too wet but that doesn't sound like your problem. I wonder if soil temps were still too cool and with the moisture the seed rotted?

FYI I don't plan to start planting till mid April at the earliest. Then I will check temps and rain prediction before I start. I see the window being mid April to the first week of May as prime.

Comment

Did you put "Inoculant" on your beans before you planted them?

Comment

I planted last week on Tuesday in Western Goliad County and have missed both rains since then. I had some ground moisture and drilled them in a bit deeper but with the cooler night/ground temps since then they are just starting emerge after 8 days. When I planted later in the spring around May 1st in the past they would emerge in 3.5 days. Longer days, warmer ground temps and warmer nights are the key IME. I planted Iron and Clays with my oats mid Sept. last year and the peas were up in 3 days. I have not inoculated in the past 4 yrs when planting.

Comment

I've seen birds kill a new seed bed

Comment

Out here in the land of hot and parched a rain can wet the top crust of soil then pack it hard, even if seeds sprout they never get through the crust.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                    I'm surprised nothing came up. Here in central La. it has been unusually warm March so I would have expected something. I have had early planted beans jump up then rot when the ground got too wet but that doesn't sound like your problem. I wonder if soil temps were still too cool and with the moisture the seed rotted?

FYI I don't plan to start planting till mid April at the earliest. Then I will check temps and rain prediction before I start. I see the window being mid April to the first week of May as prime.
                    This is what I was thinking, but with everything else greening up, I figured it was a go.

Usually I don't plant till I see the Pecan trees blooming...and that was this week.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                      Sometimes a hard rain will drive the seed down deeper. If it gets too deep it's over.
                      This crossed my mind, but the rain at that particular time was perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamer1 View Post
                        Did you put "Inoculant" on your beans before you planted them?
                        Yes

Comment

Do yall think the deer would have ate ALL of the sprouts?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Murphey View Post
                            I've seen birds kill a new seed bed
                            Hmmmm, possible

Comment

Originally posted by texashunter56 View Post
                              I planted last week on Tuesday in Western Goliad County and have missed both rains since then. I had some ground moisture and drilled them in a bit deeper but with the cooler night/ground temps since then they are just starting emerge after 8 days. When I planted later in the spring around May 1st in the past they would emerge in 3.5 days. Longer days, warmer ground temps and warmer nights are the key IME. I planted Iron and Clays with my oats mid Sept. last year and the peas were up in 3 days. I have not inoculated in the past 4 yrs when planting.
                              Yeah I probably planted to early

Comment

Working...
                              X