Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting....

Comment

Man, I would love to see some pics of the coyotes hanging there. I'm constantly snaring. But I don't think I make a dent on the number of coyotes in my area.

Comment

I like the hook idea i think im gonna try that! Do yall think beef or chicken would work better?

Comment

Snares, snares, and more snares!

Calling in and KILLING every one you call. A missed yote at a calling set is now educated to the call and becomes even harder to kill.

Comment

Originally posted by Chef View Post
            My FIL was telling me the same thing!!! He said find the largest trebble hook you can buy and put meat on them and hang them from a tree about 4' off the ground. I'm gonna run by Cabella's today to get a dozen hooks....
            That works but you can also catch non-target animals as well. But that's true with any trap/snare etc.
            Poison works but you have to know what you are doing with it.

Comment

Knowing my luck one of my cows would bite the **** hook lol

Comment

[QUOTEasTexasMan;6926905]Knowing my luck one of my cows would bite the **** hook lol[/QUOTE

I've seen cows chew about anything and everything. that could be a disaster

Comment

I high fenced a small place (less than 600 acres) in 2007 and put bred does and yearling bucks in. The first year, we lost 85% of our fawns. Tried snaring but didn't know what I was doing. Got a lesson from a pro. Will catch our 700th coyote in the next few weeks. You definitely don't want to catch around the neck as someone said earlier. Coyotes caught there get bored and chew the cable in two. I caught one recently with 4 snares around his neck. The one that got him in front of the hips finally caught him. You can pretty well deer proof a situation with a little knowledge. Dogs are a different story. A pet dog won't strangle himself. He will sit there until he dies of stress. If you have wild dogs, they may or may not choke to death. The 2-3 dogs that we have caught. I just call the owner to ome hold the dog while I cut the snare loose. I have now built several thousand snares myself and given them away. I am trying to encourage others to catch song dogs. I would be happy to explain the best way to set one, build one and the most important thing how to build a clip to hold to the wire of the fence that releases the snare. Good luck. It's the only meaningful way to reduce population. We are now at around 100% and some years better (more than one fawn per doe) on fawn survival. By the way, once you start, you can't quit. They are territorial and another will just take his place. THat's why the neighbors need to assist.

Comment

Thank you courtatlawjudge! You were a big help, ive built snares before but would be very interested in learning the best place to set them and about the clip to release the snare

Comment

Thanks for the insight and assistance. The problem is there are thousands of acres around me that hogs and yotes run freely on. No neighbors to contact, land owners dont care bacause yotes dont mess with row crops and the hogs are being handled by helicopter contracts and hunts. Dense wooded areas perfect for hiding and most fences are 50-60 years old....

Comment

fenceline snares

Comment

Song dogs...I like that one.

Comment

Hey Man , as Bill Clinton once said , I FEEL YOUR PAIN . I too have a problem with coyotes trying their best to put me out of the goat business . I got the State Predator Control Agent to come by but he could not offer much help other than the usual tried and tired methods .
                            I bought a dozen snares from GHOST RIDER LINE SNARES online . They cost a little more per dozen but the quality is far greater than any others I have seen . You can really see that they are built better and stronger . I have some set out under fence lines with a crawl space , but the d-mn things started coming over the top of my 4/1/2 feet fence .
                            I have a couple of other things that I am now trying and will share these with you if it well help . I DO NOT TRY CALLING . I ALREADY HAVE ENOUGH WITHOUT CALLING IN MORE.

Comment

When I was trapping for the state I used 5-64 snares I didn't hardly loose any neck catch or not especially in the summer. But I prefer traps I use the Bridger #3 with drag or stake make sure they are laminated 4 coils. I caught more that way than calling

Comment

Originally posted by courtatlawjudge View Post
                                I high fenced a small place (less than 600 acres) in 2007 and put bred does and yearling bucks in. The first year, we lost 85% of our fawns. Tried snaring but didn't know what I was doing. Got a lesson from a pro. Will catch our 700th coyote in the next few weeks. You definitely don't want to catch around the neck as someone said earlier. Coyotes caught there get bored and chew the cable in two. I caught one recently with 4 snares around his neck. The one that got him in front of the hips finally caught him. You can pretty well deer proof a situation with a little knowledge. Dogs are a different story. A pet dog won't strangle himself. He will sit there until he dies of stress. If you have wild dogs, they may or may not choke to death. The 2-3 dogs that we have caught. I just call the owner to ome hold the dog while I cut the snare loose. I have now built several thousand snares myself and given them away. I am trying to encourage others to catch song dogs. I would be happy to explain the best way to set one, build one and the most important thing how to build a clip to hold to the wire of the fence that releases the snare. Good luck. It's the only meaningful way to reduce population. We are now at around 100% and some years better (more than one fawn per doe) on fawn survival. By the way, once you start, you can't quit. They are territorial and another will just take his place. THat's why the neighbors need to assist.
                                Do you have a video or can you make one??

Comment

Working...
                                X