Where have the bucks gone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where have the bucks gone?

I pulled cards this weekend and had over 500 pics on every card. I saw a lot of does with and without fawns and mostly solo hogs but not a single buck. Last year I had a good mix on the same cameras. We are MLD property and the bucks have to be 3.5 or older to shoot so we passed on a lot of younger bucks only taking 2 in our area last year. The does and hogs are hitting the protein as well but no bucks.

This is in E. Texas. and everything is really green but I figured to see at least 1 buck

I'm in the same boat. My cameras have been out a few weeks now and tons of pics. All does and fawns though except for one little yearling buck. And these cameras are in spots where I always have a lot of bucks.

Comment

I had about 4 nice bucks at my protein feeders and then they disappeared right after we had a bunch of rain a few weeks back. Maybe they are all just eating natural veggies right now. At least this is what I hope.

Comment

It's hot and there's natural browse for them to eat. They're still in fat storage mode so chances are they're eating plenty and moving very little.

Comment

I've noticed it over the past two years! I've been seeing less and less bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by d_e_smith View Post
            It's hot and there's natural browse for them to eat. They're still in fat storage mode so chances are they're eating plenty and moving very little.
            ^^^^^this!

Comment

I don't really expect to see many bucks this time of year in East Texas. Plenty of food to eat in all the thick woods we have. They don't have to come out into the open if they don't want to, and I can assure you, the mature guys don't like to. Once the temp starts dropping, leaves start falling and the grass starts turning, they'll be on the move more.

Comment

I have mainly bucks. I worry about our doe population more then anything. Crazy how that's different in different areas of the state.

Comment

If they've been there before, they'll be there again. It's hot and just like us, they don't want to be out in the heat just as much as we don't. Put a camera near a water source, deer have to drink.

Comment

Its the heat hell I don't even feed in this heat

Comment

Originally posted by KingsX View Post
                      I have mainly bucks. I worry about our doe population more then anything. Crazy how that's different in different areas of the state.
                      I had this problem during last season. Saw a lot of young bucks only 2 does. The lease had a 120 doe tags to fill for the MLD and I don't think we took 60. I was lucky enough to get one so I didn't get fined.

Comment

Working...
                      X