Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dealing with a Parent with diminished capacity in a Nuring Home.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mertzon Man View Post
    Bless you sir, I'm dealing with the same sort of issues with my Dad.
    I too can relate ... my FIL is in a nursing home and no longer recognizes his daughters (1 being my wife).

My MIL has a 24 hr sitter and we take turns watching her on weekends. She asked me 25 times today who was playing in today's CWS baseball game. All I could do is respond LSU and they are wearing the purple uniforms.

Alzheimer's and dementia suck

Comment

"There but for the Grace of God go I."

My brothers and I are also care for our elderly Mom. Amazingly, at 89, she is still managing her own affairs.

I've witnessed my parents care for both their parents in their final years and days. It's an inspiration and familial obligation that we should all experience to honor our heritage.

It's a hard thing but we should all pray to have peace in our final days.

I can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday, so I'm good.

Comment

Hang in there! Dealing with this for my FIL and it's hard to watch the strain it puts on the family and to the one suffering with the disease.

Comment

Originally posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post
          Talk to your social worker at the facility, if he's not already on it I think home health helps a lot and they do visit facilities. Facts are here's usually one or 2 nurses and alot of aides at a facility. Home health will send a nurse and therapist in for one on one at least once a week and they can help with recommendations and keep MD in the loop and be his eyes for him, may be able to help and it's free through Medicare. I'm no prob but I'd def recommend talking to those that are. Social workers are usually good starts to let you know what resources are available. I deal with them regularly even through protective services and they are usually a wealth of knowledge.

He could just be plain mad about the move and doesn't like the place. It takes a while to adjust. Hopefully the place is helping him with a routine he can get used to and has activities he enjoys to occupy his time

Deputy as far as cbd oil goes it's perfectly legal in Texas. Some people have results with it some it does absolutely nothing.

Been in touch with the social worker almost daily. He is Medicaid pending and that application was just filed.

Comment

Lord bless all you folks, my is dealing with the same issues. He lives out our back door in our little house and has many days like those mentioned above.

Comment

Should be my FIL.

Comment

Had 2 uncles go thru this and my mother passed away from Alzheimer's. it is not easy for sure. Her long term memory was great but no short term memory..all I can tell you from first hand experience is be patient with him and please get yourself some counseling on how do deal with this..it was horrible to watch her slowly and I mean very slowly slip away. I almost hated going to see her because in my mind that wasn't my mom. Until about 2 weeks before she passed she would still smile a little bit and it made me feel like she still knew who I was. God bless you sir! Just remember "patience".

Comment

Been there done that. Unfortunately a part of life with aging relatives. They all blame it on someone and in this instance you are the unlucky one thats getting blamed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Hang in there and do the best you can. My sister and me are
                    Dealing with the same thing with our 85 year old mother. We
                    Recently had to put her in a nursing home and we switch off every other day going to see her. It does put a strain on your family like but it's necessary. She was there for me when I was young and not able to take care of myself now I need to be there for her. At least that's what I tell my wife when I have to drop what I'm doin and go to the home because she's called needing something.

Comment

yep, hang in there and pray for peace. had to deal with this with my dad, not as bad as your deal but it sucked.

Comment

where is he at? my wife works for Brookdale and they have very good facilities that deal with memory care patients.

Comment

Prayers with you. It's very hard to deal with. My mother, a stroke survivor has been with my wife an I for five years now since my father went to be with the Lord. All we have been able to do is take it day by day. Lucky for me, my wife is very good with her.
                          Hang in there.

Comment

Prayers sent. I feel for you as both my Dad and mother have had to go into nursing homes and/or assisted living in the last 4 yrs now. My Dad passed away in a nursing home 3 yrs ago and I just recently moved my Mom to an assisted living facility which is much better for her. One thing to check is for UTI. Infections are very common among elderly and will make them do/act in very strange ways. My Mom has had 3 UTI's in the past 9 months. I can tell when she has one by the way she looks, acts and talks. She had a UTI and upper respiratory infection at the same time that that put her in the hospital back in Jan. That was a 4 day period she has no memory of nor the 2-3 days before she went in.

Comment

Prayers for you my dad was in one for 1 year. After he passed mom was in one for 2 years, The last 90 days were the worst in both cases.
                              You know that you cant really help but you cant stop trying.

Comment

Also look into Sundowner Syndrome - where folks with some degree of dementia seem to have harder times in the afternoon/evenings. Sometimes, if you are aware of it, you can make some adjustments to make everyone's day a little better.

Comment

Working...
                                X