X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Standard vs micro diameter shafts

G'day again,

Just a curious thought I've always had.

I know the only real way to test this out is behind a chrony but I just thought I'd ask to see if anyone already has done it.

Of the two, weight for weight, would they be the same speed or would the micro diameter shafts with less wind drag be quicker?

JP

not sure about speed but they sure do penetrate deeper!

Comment

I bet it wouldn't really make a difference till you got out to the longer distances but that's just me I have no proof

Comment

Won't be any faster or have better penetration behind a broadhead. Might penetrate a target better but that's it. Small shafts could have a noticeable benefit on long shots with a crosswind though

Comment

Cheers for the info guys.

I have definitely noticed a difference in penetration on targets and personally in hunting. Having said that I've only shot a couple of foxes as of yet but the micro's have blown through it. I'll reserve full judgement on that until I put it to work on a red stag or sambar stag though.

I would have thought that a micro with a higher gpi would have better momentum which would then translate into hitting harder and with less surface area to cause drag both in the air and once in an animal. Having said that I failed physics at school years ago so I'm far from an authority on it.

I was interested in the speed side though. I do have a chrony but I gave away my standard diameter shafts so I can't really compare them myself.

Comment

your not going to see any speed difference. If both arrows are the same except size. The difference in friction between the two will not be seen in a chrono graph.

At the average shooting difference of 20 yards you will not even see a penetration difference unless your in a big bone.

Now on momentum. No matter what arrow it is. As you go up in weight you will gain momentum.

Comment

I was shooting Beman ICS Pro Hunter 400 spine and now I shoot Easton Axis Deep Six 400 spine. My finding are quieter flight, Buck the wind better, penetrate 3 inches deeper in target than the Beman arrow because of weight and bow is Quieter with heavier arrow. I also shot a deer at 25yd. and it blew right through him and stuck 4in. in the ground.
              Last edited by Wrobo61; 01-16-2016, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Heavier arrow means quieter bow, better penetration on animals but does not really mean anything in a target. A cross wind can really affect a larger diameter arrow over some of the small diameter shafts and it could affect penetration through a bone, but should not have any effect through normal animal tissue due to the size of the hole made by the broadhead.
                Properly spined arrow, tuned bow and arrow, super sharp broadhead and proper shot placement and you will have a dead animal no matter what bow, release, sight, arrow, rest, quiver, broadhead, draw weight or draw length, rangefinder or binoculars you use.
                Get your set up right, get your confidence in your set up and your ability and go kill something!

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                  Heavier arrow means quieter bow, better penetration on animals but does not really mean anything in a target. A cross wind can really affect a larger diameter arrow over some of the small diameter shafts and it could affect penetration through a bone, but should not have any effect through normal animal tissue due to the size of the hole made by the broadhead.
                  Properly spined arrow, tuned bow and arrow, super sharp broadhead and proper shot placement and you will have a dead animal no matter what bow, release, sight, arrow, rest, quiver, broadhead, draw weight or draw length, rangefinder or binoculars you use.
                  Get your set up right, get your confidence in your set up and your ability and go kill something!
                  That says it all!

Comment

Working...
                  X