Fossil or rock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fossil or rock?

My niece recently found this on top of the ground at the base of an oak tree at our hunting spot in south Taylor County (south of Abilene). I sure could imagine it to be a fossil from a wooly mammoth or something along those lines. One end of it is porous, like a bone fragment would be. Could this be a fossil? Or just a cool rock?

Just a cool rock..

Comment

I think it’s bone, that porous end looks like the shaft portion of a bone and porous texture certainly makes me think it is fossilized

Comment

Thanks for the opinions so far. Any more thoughts?

Comment

My guess is a cool rock... I believe what you're seeing to be a porous end is just weathering that has eroded a particular mineral in the rock. In the picture it appears to have a pink tint to it, probably meaning it has quite a bit of K-feldspar or maybe oxidation, and also looks like a very fine grained possibly siltstone... just my guess though

Comment

Another vote for rock

Comment

Agree with KnightTime

Given where it was found, just sitting on the ground, I'd say it's a rock. Compare it to rocks in the area. A fossil will be different than the rock formation in which it was found.

Lick it! lol the porosity of fossilized bone will typically cause your tongue to "stick".

Comment

Looks like a sex stone to me

Comment

Looks like sand stone?

Comment

Rock

Comment

Working...
                    X