Inks Lake info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inks Lake info

Heading down that way next week. Anybody have any information/insight into hunting this area?

Thanks

Hunted there 3 or 4 years ago with my son and FIL. Staff was super friendly. They assign you a blind and drop you off. Hunting is in the the trail area across Park rd 4 from the lake and also in the the Longhorn Caverns Park. Its beautiful area. We stayed in one of the small lakeside cabins. Take a small electric heater if you stay in the cabin and it is cold. They had AC but not heat. You will see more deer in the campsite but there are still plenty. Son and FIL got one but I came away emptyhanded. Still was fun. Love that lake. Always spend a week camping every Spring

Comment

Myself and two other buddies (one is also a TBHer, when he sees this he will remember more details) hunted there a couple years ago. It was probably the best TPWD hunt I have ever been on. As Mjjust said, the staff is great there. If I remember, there were 10 hunters on that one, and everyone scored.

Comment

I was there last week, on an antlerless hunt. I don't know how many were taken but a handful. I know at least 5, but maybe more. I took one out of blind 1, and one was taken blind A, and 3 were taken from blind 14, those are the ones I remember.

The people are great!

Comment

Thanks for the information. Need some meat for the freezer, and this sounds like a good chance to get some.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeJ View Post
            Myself and two other buddies (one is also a TBHer, when he sees this he will remember more details) hunted there a couple years ago. It was probably the best TPWD hunt I have ever been on. As Mjjust said, the staff is great there. If I remember, there were 10 hunters on that one, and everyone scored.
            Hunted with MikeJ last year in December. We were the first doe/spike hunt and we CLEANED UP... 10 hunters took 17 deer. Our group of 3 took 4 spikes and 2 does. I think the percentages dropped in subsequent hunts but it was obvious they weren't real skiddish yet when we hunted. Definitely a good chance to fill your freezer.

Staff is AWESOME. They want you to shoot deer and make every effort to put you in the right stands. They drive you to the stands and pick you up at a pre-determined time. They had been pre-baiting the areas so deer were moving through checking the areas out. Assuming they will do the same again this year. If guys weren't seeing anything, they had no problem moving you around to find deer.

They put you in stands so you don't get to pick BUT #1 and #2 were real good for us. #1 is right across the highway from the campgrounds and every deer I saw came from that way. The original hunter who was in #2 shot both of his deer before 4 pm the FIRST AFTERNOON and my buddy MikeJ moved to that one later in the hunt and shot a doe as well.

We threw out fresh corn every hunt but since there are no javelinas and not many hogs, it didn't disappear real fast. Good luck....

Comment

How did it go?

Comment

There were seven does take on my hunt; none by me. Two blinds accounted for four of the deer. I hunted blinds 8 and 9. Saw a couple of bucks out of 8. Had a buck come in at stand 9 with a couple of does behind. They were super wary and refused to come all the way in.

Overall, the weather was fairly poor, but the hunt was great. Staff and volunteers go out of their way to make things enjoyable.

Comment

Working...
                X