No announcement yet.

Hogs lake lavon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went quite a bit this summer to scout with my bow. I saw a lot of fresh sign around unit 3-5. I probably went up there 6 or 7 times and scouted a whole lot,both early am and evening and I never did see an actual hog. I saw quite a few deer, unfortunately they are off limits at Lavon... Be careful around any creek areas, definitely saw a few snakes around those areas.

Comment

Difinantly interested in checking it out to see what I can get out there.

Comment

Originally posted by ttubudd View Post
        I may cruise over there on Sunday morning & walk around a bit. Never have set foot on Lavon land. If anyone wants to go, shoot me a PM
        Did you make it out there this weekend?

Comment

Originally posted by sircharles4848 View Post
          Did you make it out there this weekend?
          Nah, went to a wedding Saturday night and my buddy Johnnie Walker decided that I should sleep in.

Comment

I'd be interested in checking Lavon out too. I just got my permit and have never been out there yet.

Comment

Are there any pigs in any of the southeastern units?

Comment

You can pick any unit and find hogs. Now... whether or not it will be so thick that you can't shoot is another question entirely. I'll be out there on a weekly basis once deer season is over.

Some of the units you don't have to go too far to find sign. Just make sure you have a flashlight, and your phone is on full charge because its one of the easiest places to get lost in that I've hunted.

I got lost out there for 3 hours one night when I forgot my flashlight. Kept following a creek, but didn't realize that it fed into three other ones. I'm also pretty positive that some of the areas closer to houses get hit pretty regularly by the locals.

Comment

I want to give this a try as well. Let me know when anyone goes and I'll try not to be the guy that trips and stumbles in the woods like a drunk.

Comment

I just bought my first bow. How does one get into one of the public hunts? I would like to look into it for future reference when I get more practice and I'm ready to hit the field.

Comment

I took my friend out there for his first ever hunt. Went in mainly just to scout. I found a pig trail and scat. Followed it to a bunch of big sows. He gotta shot of with his bow at about 30 yards. She was about 160 # and left two piglet behind that we caught by hand.

I know a good spot but you have to swim to get there. I call it hog island..

Comment

My cousin and I hunt regularly out there, just pm me with your contact info and we can meet up and give them hell.

Comment

Love to try it. Need to buy a public tag.

I would love to make a day of it with someone.

Comment

I'd like to do some hog hunting!

Comment

Originally posted by jkelbe View Post
                              Love to try it. Need to buy a public tag.

I would love to make a day of it with someone.
                              No need to buy anything, just go to the Corp office by the dam and get your permit. It's free

Comment

Originally posted by Chad2682 View Post
                                No need to buy anything, just go to the Corp office by the dam and get your permit. It's free
                                Thanks. Maybe after season.

I would love to eventually try public land deer hunts, but thought this would be a great way to try out PL.

Comment

Working...
                                X