Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sausage Makers?

How well do you trim your deer meat?

I feel like I probably over trim mine, but I have a hard time not doing so.

I trim as much tallow off as possible on venison before making sausage.

Comment

Like you, I am sure I do not need to trim as much as I do but its become habit

Comment

I've done it both ways, and with a good, sharp grind plate and knife, and a strong grinder, I prefer the mouthfeel and flavor of almost completely un-trimmed grind. Toss it all in. I will fry up a little piece of fat before hand to see how the flavor is, but more often than not, the fat goes in the mix too.

I will say that me and my family either don't notice or aren't bothered by the waxy texture that most people turns them off deer fat.

Most sausage I do 50/50 venison and pork, then add in fatback to get to 20-30% (depending on how fatty the ork shoulder was and what kind of sausage). I do plain ground meat at 80% venison, 20% USDA Prime brisket trimmings.

Comment

I remove "all" the deer fat, 98% of all the connective tissue before grinding my deer meat! It just makes for a cleaner product weather I just use as ground meat or making sausage!

Comment

I just trim off the tallow as I don’t care for the waxy feel while eating, plus the more tallow the quicker it will spoil in the freezer. Like duckboy said above it doesn’t taste bad at all, it’s just the texture I don’t like. Other than the tallow, I don’t trim much as it all gets ground up.

Comment

i've been wondering this myself BUT after all these years I just can't make myself not clean the meat very well before processing. I say I'm going to do it on the next batch to see if I can live with it but then my OCD kicks in and I feel like i'm going to ruin perfectly good meat. I just don't think I'd be very happy chewing on a piece of sinew/silver skin even though its ground smaller. So this is a great thread lol. Following.

Comment

The easiest way for me to work on a deer is to debone it and then put it on ice! From there I work on it one piece at a time starting with the backstraps and tenderloins. when I get to the front and back quarters, I just take my time and separate every muscle individually and remove any silverskin, connective tissue or sinew from the meat using my filet knife. The meat that has entirely to much cartilage, or connective tissue, I just cut up into small one inch squares and freeze in ziplocs to be given to the dog during the winter months.
                The meat that is to be ground, I cut up into one inch cubes and put in 1/2 gallon ziploc and freeze till I get time to grind it!
                This way, I work on a deer a little bit at a time over several days and end up with some really clean meat that is free of any connective tissue or unwanted material.

Comment

For sausage, I remove all the heavy thick tallow deer fat. I do not remove all the small thin connective fat since I am running it through a grinder. Its just too much work. Never had a complaint

Comment

Remove all fat and thicker silver skin. I believe a little silver skin gives the sausage a good flavor and texture, but to each his own.

Comment

I remove as much tallow as possible no matter what. Not good on deer. Imo

Comment

I get most of the most of the hard fat and that's it. Grind everything else up.

Comment

I remove everything and I have just meat left.. it looks like a lot of waste but I can't bring myself to leave it. I don't like gamey tasting meat and the slime / silver skin seem to be what causes it.. I'd like to help out at a processing facility for a day just to see how they do it because most of the time their sausage turns out good.

Comment

I cut out as much as possible. I probably over do it. Guarantee I clean the meat better than any processor.

Comment

what are you guys using for grinders? 3/4hp?

Comment

Working...
                              X