Thoughts on a hunting pistol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on a hunting pistol

Got a heckuva deal on a Ruger Blackhawk SA 357 flat top with a 6” barrel. First time shooting it was today. Shooting it at 15 yds free hand, it seemed to shoot pretty good (as good as I can shoot)

Thought about mounting a 2.5x scope on it and trying to hunt with it. I’ve never hunted with a handgun b4. Thinking about hunting with it out of my bow blind. Keep my shots close, 20ish yds.

Lookin for hints, thoughts, suggestions. What type of bullet?

The 357 mag is more than capable of taking our smaller sized whitetails out to 50 yards. The old tried and true 158gr XTP would be a excellent choice. Generally handgun hunting is different than rifle or bow hunting, you want to shoot the deer through the shoulders. If you can use a rest you'll be better off but place your wrist on the rest and not the gun.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiplashTX View Post
      The 357 mag is more than capable of taking our smaller sized whitetails out to 50 yards. The old tried and true 158gr XTP would be a excellent choice. Generally handgun hunting is different than rifle or bow hunting, you want to shoot the deer through the shoulders. If you can use a rest you'll be better off but place your wrist on the rest and not the gun.
      Thanks! I have never hunted with a pistol. I woulda put the gun on the rest, like a dummy!

I’ll be huntin hill country whitetail, so smaller sized whitetail, yes.

Any recommendations on which scope? Less than 50 yds, would 2.5x be ok? Adjustable magnification? Fixed 4x? All of this is new to me.

Comment

Iron sights are plenty good at 50 yards. A 2 power scope would be ideal. Field of view with pistol scopes is small. Higher power takes longer and is harder to get on target. Ruger Blackhawk is not gonna be easy to mount a scope. I’d either go iron sights or trade for something easier to scope.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
          Iron sights are plenty good at 50 yards. A 2 power scope would be ideal. Field of view with pistol scopes is small. Higher power takes longer and is harder to get on target. Ruger Blackhawk is not gonna be easy to mount a scope. I’d either go iron sights or trade for something easier to scope.
          I’m thinking scope, something with some magnification. I can barely see 30 yds to shoot my bow!

Comment

The problem is gonna be mounting a scope. The Ruger Blackhawk flattop doesn't come drilled and tapped for a scope mount. About the only mounts available are something that clamps to the gun. Newer Smith & Wessons and some Rugers are easily adapted for mounting a scope. You would be money ahead to sell or trade this one and find one of them.

Comment

Dan, that's an excellent pistola, but to put optics on it will require a little 'smitting... Not a problem, but Like M16 posted, if you're really interested, you might want to swap it for something else. The caliber is fine, though if you're going to swap it, might also want to step up to one of the 40's... 44 mag, special, long colt, etc...
              I have several hunting pistolas, mostly Contenders, but I've killed deer out to 200 yards with them in various calibers...
              Leupold makes excellent pistola scopes that won't break the bank too.

Comment

Thanks, y’all!

Comment

Like the others said, that flattop is going to require a little more work to mount a scope and I would be hesitant to drill and original flattop. If it's in good shape you can probably sell and pay for something else. My Contender has a 2.5 x7 power but on the 44 I use a red dot TRS 25. 50 yards or less it works great. Some like shoulder shots but I stick with heart/lung with a handgun. It's a big target area and I've never had to track them more than 50yards. Handgun hunting is a lot of fun ! Enjoy

Comment

A 45 convertible blackhawk would be much better, and i happen to have one in the classifieds :-)

Comment

Dan,

I put this mount on my blackhawk bisley.

Then added an rmr. I love it and have not had any problems with it moving or coming loose. Im shooting hot .45 LC rounds with plenty of recoil.

Comment

A .22 with a suppressor is my go to road hunting gun

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Blend View Post
                          Dan,

Then added an rmr. I love it and have not had any problems with it moving or coming loose. Im shooting hot .45 LC rounds with plenty of recoil.
                          What scope and rings did you go with?

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Blend View Post
                            Dan,

The Weigand mount is great for a Ruger Blackhawk. Easy to mount, just watch the video. You can get rings from them also. I went with a Nikon 2X pistol scope for my Super Blackhawk .44 mag.
                            Attached Files

Comment

I tried scopes on a few pistols over the years. It forces you to have a rest as the added weight makes it too difficult to shoot accurately free hand. I've since gone back to iron sites and shoot as good or better than with a scope. But as my eyes are starting to age I may have to give a scope a try again.

Comment

Working...
                              X