No announcement yet.

Archery clubs supporting other clubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrowmith is spot on; I think it has more to do with the greater number of shoots, clubs, formats and logistics.

Back in the day we didn't have 4-5 shoots with in driving distance to choose from; now we do.

I am lucky in that I am close to two great clubs, HCB and Austin Archery, which allows me to shoot twice a month with minimal drive times. So there's no real reason for me to make a longer drive; I get my fix pretty often!

I think the other thing is how the shoot is ran. I meet people all the time that have no idea where the first stake/target is located, what class they need to be shooting in or how the club is scoring the targets (IBO, ASA, etc.).

During our first 4H shoot two weeks ago I made it a point to tell every shooter the layout of the range and make sure they understood the classes, their stake and the scoring we were using. This made for a great 3D shoot based on the feedback we received.

This may not matter to the old pros, but most of the shooters aren't old pros, they are just regular people who may hit 2-3 shoots a year and aren't that familiar with all the ins and outs of 3D archery.

If it is too confusing for the average archer they will not be back. Most of these shooters don't care about ASA, IBO, Reinhart, Mackenzie or politics; they just want to shoot their bows somewhere besides their back yards and have a good time.

Clubs need to realize there are two groups and cater to both of them and not just those on the circuit.

Speaking as someone who has started, ran and helped operate a club; this is my layman's view. I also think that the clubs that do this well, like HCB, have a large repeat business.

Just my observations.

Comment

I have a hard time shooting on Sundays due to commitments at church, but have been known to go to one on special occasions

But if I know of a shoot on Saturday, within 2.5-3 hour drive, I will try my best to be there.
      I do not care what type of target they use, indoor or outdoor, I just enjoy shooting.

Comment

I can't get enough of Texas ASA events. Mike and Tracy have been fantastic! Thank you Mike and Tracey because what you guys helped build is what I truly love!... hope to see you on Sunday at Paris.

In my opinion, all the clubs do a great job with what they have. Some have more money and nicer targets, but all are great hosts! I wish the less centrally located clubs had better showings, but understand the driving distance thing.

Comment

We may have more clubs "back in the day" but I can promise you, we don't have very many clubs in Texas, relatively speaking.

For example in Georgia, they have 2 club shoots every weekend within 2 hours. Some archers were telling me last year that they could shoot at one club at 8 in the morning and drive to a different club and shoot at 1 in the afternoon nearly every weekend, both days. So they could technically shoot 4 different clubs in a weekend.

Don't ask me how many targets or how many participants they have. I don't know, but the concept was fascinating to me.

Some of the really old timers that started when 3D targets were Styrofoam told me they used to go to 2 club shoots every weekend in Texas, and they shot 40 - 60 targets.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
            We may have more clubs "back in the day" but I can promise you, we don't have very many clubs in Texas, relatively speaking.

For example in Georgia, they have 2 club shoots every weekend within 2 hours. Some archers were telling me last year that they could shoot at one club at 8 in the morning and drive to a different club and shoot at 1 in the afternoon nearly every weekend, both days. So they could technically shoot 4 different clubs in a weekend.

Don't ask me how many targets or how many participants they have. I don't know, but the concept was fascinating to me.

Some of the really old timers that started when 3D targets were Styrofoam told me they used to go to 2 club shoots every weekend in Texas, and they shot 40 - 60 targets.
            Hmmm.....that is strange. Must be a lot of non ASA affiliated clubs.....but wait....we have a lot of unaffiliated clubs here in Texas too.

I don't know about Georgia's total number of archery clubs, but we have over twice as many ASA clubs as Georgia has.....and Georgia is ASA's home state.

Texas also has over twice as many ASA state qualifiers than Georgia has.

Here are the official numbers.

Texas 34 ASA clubs

Georgia 16 ASA clubs

Click on links below to see Texas ASA clubs vs. Georgia ASA clubs

Georgia ASA clubs:

Texas ASA clubs:

A lot of us used to go to two events in a weekend. Like Cowtown on Saturday and Abilene on Sunday. Gas prices, time restraints, and old age have slowed that pace.
            Last edited by Arrowsmith; 06-02-2016, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boweye View Post
              I can't get enough of Texas ASA events. Mike and Tracy have been fantastic! Thank you Mike and Tracey because what you guys helped build is what I truly love!... hope to see you on Sunday at Paris.

In my opinion, all the clubs do a great job with what they have. Some have more money and nicer targets, but all are great hosts! I wish the less centrally located clubs had better showings, but understand the driving distance thing.
              Matt,

We appreciate you participation. You are a awesome shooter and a loyal Texas ASA family member.

For those of you that don't know Matt....he lives in Del Rio, Texas and he travels all over Texas shooting our events. He was in Paris at Archer's for Christ this past weekend. Just checked google maps. Matt drove 525 miles one way. That is 8 hours one way. It was well worth the trip as Matt won his class and leads Sr. Hunter SOY by 45 points.

Congratulations Matt and Thank You !!!

Comment

Working...
              X