Gar beat us

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gar beat us

What's a good way to fish when gar are working the TOP of the water column?

My son and I have been seeing tons of gar surfacing in one area of the lake. Last night I netted some 3" to 5" shad and tried fishing on the bottom and under floats. They left the bottom shad a lone, but they wore the floats out.

We had no idea what we were doing and definitely were not set up for gar. Several exciting hook-ups occurred, but they all spit the bait or were so big they just snapped the line. The shad were on a medium treble hook about 2 feet under the float in about 10 feet of water.

Guidance is appreciated. I know gear is as important as the method with these beasts. We're ignorant on both subjects.

1ft section of frayed rope

Comment

When they take the bait let them run with it...open spool. When they stop give them a little time to start swallowing the bait and cross their eyes.

Comment

Thanks. I will google how to use frayed rope.

Tryton, I think you found one of our issues. We were trying to set the hook when they were first starting to run with it.

Comment

30 inches of wire leader wit a 2/0 treble. One hook barb in the top edge of the bait and the rest exposed. Uses as small a bobber as possible too keep the bait up.. if gator gar, use lb plus baits. if big longnose, use half a gizzard shad. When the gar takes, feed him line from an open reel. Dont use the clicker! let him run till he stops. waait 30 second minimum after that. then reel down tight against the fish. He will usually start moving away. that makes the leader pull to the corner of his mouth for a hard hook set. hang on.

Comment

My understanding is that they have really bony mouths and you need to try to hook them in their gut. Or use the rope trick to get it stuck in their teeth, maybe even soak it in fish oil.

This guy is on 2cool and FB, interesting guy, but he catches huge gar. May be worth asking him.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
              30 inches of wire leader wit a 2/0 treble. One hook barb in the top edge of the bait and the rest exposed. Uses as small a bobber as possible too keep the bait up.. if gator gar, use lb plus baits. if big longnose, use half a gizzard shad. When the gar takes, feed him line from an open reel. Dont use the clicker! let him run till he stops. waait 30 second minimum after that. then reel down tight against the fish. He will usually start moving away. that makes the leader pull to the corner of his mouth for a hard hook set. hang on.
              Excellent advice. Thanks. Can't wait to get back out there and try this.

Comment

Originally posted by batmaninja View Post
                My understanding is that they have really bony mouths and you need to try to hook them in their gut. Or use the rope trick to get it stuck in their teeth, maybe even soak it in fish oil.

This guy is on 2cool and FB, interesting guy, but he catches huge gar. May be worth asking him.

https://www.facebook.com/CatchingDinosaurs/
                Thanks. Will check this out

Comment

If you have room a good way to know when to set the hook is let them run with it until they return to the exact spot they picked the bait up or atleast start heading back to you. They will swallow what they have and return for more once eaten. If no room or they run too far then its basically a 50/50 chance but most just wait for the 2nd run to set.

Comment

A bow-fishing rig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

a 31" white piece of fiberglass hooked to my bow.

Comment

Originally posted by Stykbow View Post
                        a 31" white piece of fiberglass hooked to my bow.
                        Ha. We've done the bow fishing thing and it is a blast. My 12 year old really wants to fight a gar with a rod though.

Comment

Working...
                        X