Buying a home with foundation problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a home with foundation problem

To make a long story short I am looking for advice from someone with more experience on the matter. We agreed on the price and all of that on a home and are in our option period and the inspector brought to our attention that the foundation needing to be looked at further. So we get the foundation guy out and he says it definitely is not going to get any better. He stated that it could have been prevented with proper drainage, but was neglected. His quote is $7200 to repair it. What are our options now? No this is not a home we are planning to live in forever, but I don’t want it to bite us in the butt when we try to sell it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get the seller to fix it, at their expense or adjust the price to reflect the cost of the repairs.

Comment

I'd still buy the house of the seller will reduce the selling price enough to cover the repair cost. I'd try for more but would settle for $7,200. Once they start raising the foundation windows, tiles and pipes could break or be damaged.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
        Get the seller to fix it, at their expense or adjust the price to reflect the cost of the repairs.
        This

If you do get the money plan the job the week between Christmas and New Year. We saved 5 K on a 17K job. Have 2 companies bidding on the work. Use pressed piles only.
        Good luck....................

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
          I'd still buy the house of the seller will reduce the selling price enough to cover the repair cost. I'd try for more but would settle for $7,200. Once they start raising the foundation windows, tiles and pipes could break or be damaged.
          This happen to a friend of mine. After foundation repair, the sewage pipes all cracked, sheetrock cracked in several locations, and some doors started to stick. They had to tunnel under the house to fix sewage pipes. It was really interesting.

The repair itself works great.

Comment

We have walked on 3 homes with foundation issues. Homes settle over time and require some work. But, if the home is older and issues have gone on a while, think about the pipes, drywall, etc that will need repair down the road.

Comment

Be sure and get a hydrostatic and pressure test of plumbing before and after.

Comment

I personally would never buy a house with foundation problems. Walk away while you still can.

Comment

Leave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Once foundation repairs have been done in Texas you have to disclose this to the next potential buyer. Leave it alone

Comment

Definitely fixable, done all the time! but as noted below there are a few tricks to the process. Not a forever home...…….sounds like a great rental in a few years also!

Originally posted by Spearchunker View Post
                      Be sure and get a hydrostatic and pressure test of plumbing before and after.

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
                      This

If you do get the money plan the job the week between Christmas and New Year. We saved 5 K on a 17K job. Have 2 companies bidding on the work. Use pressed piles only.
                      Good luck....................

Comment

Never buy a house with foundation problems!

Comment

Agreed!

Comment

Don't buy it until it's the foundation and any other related issues are fixed.

Comment

If within tolerance...dont sweat it....but milk the crap out of the seller. Slabs are dynamic...not static.

However...dont jack with it. Problems will get worse.

For future reference...consistent soil moisture surrounding slabs is critical. Dont let one side dry out while the other side is moist. Example...I turned/flipped a house that builder had 11 irrigation zones...all in the front yard...none in the backyard. There was a 2” drop from the expansion joint left to right midway of the house...to the back porch. I got a written engineer report...within tolerance...installed 2-3 irr zones in backyard...disclosed it...sold it. The master shower drain line was broken...but we had it tunneled and repaired because thats what the buyer wanted.

I dont suggest any tunneling...actually a retired Associate Prof from TAMU Construction Science said dont tunnel. The slab uses the soil for support and tunneling exacerbates the problem. Most companies want to charge you for hauling off the excess soil they cant shove back in the hole...I told them to leave my soil and dont charge me.

Ive one house that has a 3” drop from front left to rear right. Rents just fine. Garages are supposed to have a 1” drop from rear to front...for spills to drain out...this garage is level. I had 3 breaks in sewer line. Mr Prof said dont tunnel...come in from top and repair breaks...because slab needed soil support. I didnt listen...I tunneled and immediately slab heaving increased. I ended up jack hammering holes near the breaks...after tunneled sewer repair... and packed two pallets of play sand under slab. I got 1 1/2 pallets in and it was packed full...on a Friday...it rained on Saturday...Monday enough gap had formed...I packed another half pallet into the holes.

Dont jack it...unless poop is flowing wrong way...jacking will only jack up more stuff...point pressures and stuff. There is a reason why there are lifetime warranties for slab jacking...because you will have a lifetime of problems....substructure and super structure.
                              Last edited by Briar Friar; 06-05-2018, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X