Cabin Wire Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cabin Wire Size

We've had our cabin for 3+ years now and am looking to make a minor adjustment on the electrical feed. I currently power the cabin with a 7k watt generator and ~25' of what I believe to be 8/4. I have the wire ran directly into the inside panel and it plugs into the generator via a 30amp twistlock plug. I'm wanting to replace the power cord with a 100' cord. I prefer to keep to stay with a flexible cord since I roll it up when we aren't there.

Electric items that are often used inside would be 5 gallon water heater, dorm size fridge, TV, lights, 2 electric burners & 24k btu window unit. I can run 2 burners, water heater & a/c without the generator bogging down.

This is the type of wire I currently use. Any idea on what size would be best and what type of wire?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Only way to know for sure is to total up the expected amp load then look at a chart. You don’t need to total up every device in there, just what you plan on running at the same time. You wouldn’t run a space heater and A/C at the same time, but you would want to be able run a microwave, water heater, and A/C without tripping the breaker.

I can tell you 8 gauge isn’t likely to be early enough, and stranded wire has a much lower capacity than solid wire like in Romex. 8 gauge at 100’ is rated for 15A, which is one standard outlet. For a 60A capacity at that length run you’d need at least 2 gauge. You also need a main breaker in the cabin panel rated for the capacity of the wire so you are unable to overload it and heat it up.

Anything that can be wired to run off 220 (if you have it available) will cut the amp draw in half.
    Last edited by gatorgrizz27; 05-23-2018, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
      Only way to know for sure is to total up the expected amp load then look at a chart. You don’t need to total up every device in there, just what you plan on running at the same time. You wouldn’t run a space heater and A/C at the same time, but you would want to be able run a microwave, water heater, and A/C without tripping the breaker.

I can tell you 8 gauge isn’t likely to be early enough, and stranded wire has a much lower capacity than solid wire like in Romex. 8 gauge at 100’ is rated for 15A, which is one standard outlet. For a 60A capacity at that length run you’d need at least 2 gauge. You also need a main breaker in the cabin panel rated for the capacity of the wire so you are unable to overload it and heat it up.

Anything that can be wired to run off 220 (if you have it available) will cut the amp draw in half.
      Thanks. I'm running everything off the 30amp 240v receptacle on the generator, so isn't it impossible to pull more than 30 amps?

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonH View Post
        Thanks. I'm running everything off the 30amp 240v receptacle on the generator, so isn't it impossible to pull more than 30 amps?

It should be as long as the breaker on the generator is working properly. 30A at 220 would be 60A at 110, which is about what I’d expect it to draw.

Comment

At 100 feet, with a 30 amp load you will be perfectly fine with the same #8 cable you are using. 8 AWG wire at 100 feet is good for quite a bit more than 15 amps, as previously stated.

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
            It should be as long as the breaker on the generator is working properly. 30A at 220 would be 60A at 110, which is about what I’d expect it to draw.
            The 4 prong twist lock to tt30 plug has a floating neutral only drawing on one set of coils, giving you half the power.

Comment

Never mind, he said he wired it to a panel.

Comment

Similar Situation here!!! I need advise on what wire to use running 250’ to my cabin from the meter pole to 100amp meter box. Running small fridge/5 gallon Hot Water Heater/Lights/A/C 110vt window unit. Needs to be all weather wire that can be buried or ran in the weather. What is the exact wire I need? I don’t know anything about the wiring codes etc. aluminum or copper? I was told a 2/0 aluminum would be plenty. Can someone give me the specific exact spool to buy for the dollar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

the #8 is more than good. #10 wire is good for 30 amps, voltage drop calculations do not even suggest that you would even need to go bigger than #10. you are fine.

Comment

Right, wrong or indifferent we ran our cabin on an 8500 watt Miller welder/generator for 2 decades. Used direct bury 10 gauge wire underground ~ 100 feet out to a generator shack. We had four 4' florescent fixtures, two ceiling fans, a small microwave, coffee pot, single electric cooking coil and a deerborne propane heater.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I beefed our cabin up this year some. I have 110' of 2-2-2-4 aluminum ran to ours.

We use a fridge, 5 gallon hot water heater, AC, microwave, lights, TV and it seems to run fine.

We had the same S/O cord you have above the 8/4 copper before thieves stole it and we would have the lights flicker, I think it was too much load for the #8 at 100+'

Comment

Working...
                      X