AC Froze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
    Who doesn't check/maintain a filter guys....com' on jeez....
    Kinda what I was thinking. Mine get changed pretty regular.

Comment

In this order
      Check air filter
      Check coils

If there is a problem there chance the compressor may have over heated and hopefully did not burn out. Get a water hose and cool it down. Been there done that.

Comment

Originally posted by smart View Post
        low on freon for me........been there done that...

Clogged orifice
        ^^^^winner^^^^

Comment

Turn heater on, will defrost and start checking what others recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
            Low on freon for me........been there done that...

clogged orifice
            Considering the source, I am almost afraid to ask this question, but what orifice?

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
              Who doesn't check/maintain a filter guys....com' on jeez....
              Originally posted by Fargus View Post
              Kinda what I was thinking. Mine get changed pretty regular.
              I finally broke down and signed up for a filter deliver thru Amazon. 4 filter every 2 months. It has helped me to change them out. West Texas is so dry and dusty a 3 month filter lasts maybe a month.

Comment

Yes. Change the filter regularly. This would happen at my previous home.

Comment

Several causes can occur. Clogged/dirty Evap coils, dirty filter could bust most likely get sucked up into the coil. Most common cause is low refrigerant. Which is caused by a leak in the system. Have someone come out and take a look

Turn the fan on and let it go. Will be defrosted in the morning. Takes a good while to thaw out. Don’t turn it back on bc it freed back up.

Comment

No trying to hijack, but I am assuming the white pvc in the top pic is the drain, since there is no cap on the top of it. Should I pour some bleach down it as a preventative?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1159.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	24542016

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1160.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	24542017

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Low refrigerant or low airflow on indoor unit causes freezups. Just going to have to call a tech

Comment

Originally posted by bobc View Post
                        No trying to hijack, but I am assuming the white pvc in the top pic is the drain, since there is no cap on the top of it. Should I pour some bleach down it as a preventative?

[ATTACH]910000[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]910001[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Yes.. helps kill mold that will grow in there

Comment

Ugh

So the tech showed up LATE last night which was great! Looks around a bit, does a few things then attempts to call someone because he is obviously unsure what to make of it. After some conversation he determines that the unit is low on refrigerant (high and low pressure readings were nearly equal at ~165) and goes to get the bottle out of the truck. Despite my telling him over the phone that the installing tech (condenser was replaced a year ago by a company I refuse to use anymore) had used some sort of cross over refrigerant that wasn't r22 or 410a he still brought just a bottle of 410a. Now he has to make a return trip the next day with the proper stuff, 407c.

We discuss the timing of his return and he made it clear that it would be around noon or shortly after. He finally showed up at 5. Now he has a couple different things he wants to look at and now it is the compressor that is bad. He tested the amps and ended up with a reading of 2 when it should have been between RLA 19.8 and LRA 104. With it being after 5 on Friday there is no chance of getting an answer on the warranty and there isn't a parts place open if I wanted to get the compressor on my own then try to get reimbursed.

Mind you, before he had shown up last night and after the thing had thawed out I had turned the unit on and it appeared to be running normal. The copper lines got cold and I had cool air. Unfortunately, I had already called to have a tech sent and didn't think it would hurt to have them inspect it. It was only after he had unplugged some wires and removed the capacitor (despite the fan running fine) all of a sudden the condenser is making a terrible racket.

When I mentioned the fact that the condenser seemed to have run fine when I had tested it prior to him getting there his reply was "Yea, that has me confused as well".

At this point, I am still not exactly sure what is going on. We are stuck without AC until Monday at the earliest.
                          Last edited by Fargus; 06-01-2018, 06:58 PM.

Comment

I’m no AC guy but if your refrigerant is really low it would make sense your compressor isn’t drawing near FLA (compressor is doing less work & thus drawing less amps).

I’d call someone else if it were me - cheaper to pay a knowledgeable tech.

Comment

Originally posted by StrayDog View Post
                              I’m no AC guy but if your refrigerant is really low it would make sense your compressor isn’t drawing near FLA (compressor is doing less work & thus drawing less amps).

I’d call someone else if it were me - cheaper to pay a knowledgeable tech.
                              I would think the compressor is having to work harder with low refrigerant.

Comment

I get mine serviced every year about mid-May from the original installer. No problems in 12 years. Cost about 100 are so depending on amount of freon added. Small town in central Tx.
                                Last edited by doghouse; 06-01-2018, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X