Front and rear pipe bumpers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front and rear pipe bumpers

Just made deal on '85 ramcharger 4wd and want to build front and rear bumpers. Ive got some 2 3/8 drill stem at home. Would that work? Thinking about haveing one pipe then putting spacers, may 4in sucker rods with 1in in top and bottom where theres 2 pipes. Then come off at a 45 with one from each end and then lay another on those. See included drawings. Dont be jealous of my artistic ability
    Attached Files

I think your frame will bend before the 2 3/8" drill stem does!

Comment

[QUOTE=Texastaxi;5144616]I think your frame will bend before the 2 3/8" drill stem does! [/this guy

Comment

Make sure you beef up the suspension when you mount it. I built a similar front bumper for my 85 K5 Blazer and I had to beef the front up. It totally changed the way it rides. Not very comfortable to ride in anymore.

Comment

That looks like an old Smittybuilt bumper.

The 2-3/8" will be more than adequate.

4" will look silly for bumpers. Many have tried, all have failed. That is, unless; you're after the mouth breathin', sister smoochin' kind of backwoods look.

Comment

Should i use just one piece or go different way? How will i beef it up? Im not mechanical at all

Comment

What about some channel iron?

Comment

I would post pictures of what I did but I cant post pics yet....

Comment

Shoot me a text or email and ill post them.
                  hoytshooter73@gmail.com

Comment

It's time to start honing those welding skills:

Here's one on an old K5, but you get the idea.

It's a proven design, and has been around for a couple of decades at least (I had those bumpers on a 89 Ranger).

Now, here's where it's gonna get tough: what is your time worth?

You'll spend quite a few hours building these, and need to invest in or borrow equipment to build them. All of the sudden $2-300 doesn't seem so unreasonable for some bumpers.

Don't worry if you can't find them for your Goat. Start doing some looking, and see if you can modify them from a similar sized vehicle that may be more popular (Bronco, K5, etc) Cut and weld some plates is much easier than building an entire bumper from scratch.

Comment

Ive got pipe, welder, torch, grinder, so i should be good

Comment

Check the pipe for magnetization this is a proplem with old drill stem. If your knife blade sticks to the pipe back off. Lost a trailer severa (35)l years ago where the metal gave up at a weld because it was magnetized pipe. The welding will crystalize the pipe and make it brittle.

Comment

Originally posted by wow View Post
                          Check the pipe for magnetization this is a proplem with old drill stem. If your knife blade sticks to the pipe back off. Lost a trailer severa (35)l years ago where the metal gave up at a weld because it was magnetized pipe. The welding will crystalize the pipe and make it brittle.
                          Thanks, didnt know that. Ill be sure before i start.

Comment

very nice

Comment

Working...
                            X