Tbot arrow rest re-clarification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rubydog View Post
    I have never had a problem making it work. I also like blind grouping and shotgun starts. I love the TSLB system of grouping. I always find it amusing the number of people that are "super shooters'' at all the local club shoots but never seem to place at the TSLB shoot. It is amazing how busting up a group can change ones score. Just saying...
    I like this system, too. The only thing I don't like about it is seperating the men and women.
    Last edited by Deb; 03-19-2011, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deb View Post
      I like this system, too. The only thing I don't like about it is seperating the men and women.
      Never really thought about it that way. I guess since my wife isn't a shooter I wouldn't have but the women always seem to be having a great time spreading the estrogen around in the woods.

Comment

Originally posted by rubydog View Post
        Never really thought about it that way. I guess since my wife isn't a shooter I wouldn't have but the women always seem to be having a great time spreading the estrogen around in the woods.
        It's ok, but mixed groups are more fun.

Comment

It's ok, but mixed groups are more fun.
          Yes they are..

Comment

Been changing everyones bows to shooting off shelf last night and today.Mine,sons,dads,sister,BIL,and have a few buddies doing it also.I think shooting off shelf is the best and easiest rule for TBoT.Just wish I would have known earlier.Doing what I've got to do for the team(TBoT)and my wife says Im not very understanding!
            Last edited by ShaBow; 03-19-2011, 11:22 AM.

Comment

First of all, I would like to thank Bud for coming on and addressing this issue on this forum.

I agree that TBOT is a great organization that is comprised of great members and outstanding volunteers that serve the traditional community by volunteering their time.

I guess my thoughts on this issue are pretty simple TBOT shoots promote a friendly atmosphere, while still maintaining a very simple format for competition without adding complexity to the rules or the bow (stick n string) itself.

There are several organizations/clubs that permit the recurves/longbows with elevated rest, plungers, sights and so forth in the traditional equipment class. However, the rules and format set forth by TBOT is the basis of their shoots. It is this unexplainable atmosphere of friendly attitude and camaraderie that defines and sets apart TBOT from other 3D shoots, especially a shoot known as Vanderpool.

It would be heartbreaking to see this shoot lose its "family atmosphere" and deny the REST of the traditional bowhunters of Texas the opportunity to experience the ambiance of the Hill Country shoot.

Now as a newbie to traditional I have a question on this elevated rest issue, if there is no advantage to having a elevated rest other than to have the opportunity to shoot vanes, then why all the sudden push to allow elevated rest on traditional equipment?...I can see an advantage if it is raining..wet feather
              Last edited by axisbuck24; 03-19-2011, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by axisbuck24 View Post
                First of all, I would like to thank Bud for coming on and addressing this issue on this forum.

I agree that TBOT is a great organization that is comprised of great members and outstanding volunteers that serve the traditional community by volunteering their time.

I guess my thoughts on this issue are pretty simple TBOT shoots promote a friendly atmosphere, while still maintaining a very simple format for competition without adding complexity to the rules or the bow (stick n string) itself.

There are several organizations/clubs that permit the recurves/longbows with elevated rest, plungers, sights and so forth in the traditional equipment class. However, the rules and format set forth by TBOT is the basis of their shoots. It is this unexplainable atmosphere of friendly attitude and camaraderie that defines and sets apart TBOT from other 3D shoots, especially a shoot known as Vanderpool.

It would be heartbreaking to see this shoot lose its "family atmosphere" and deny the REST of the traditional bowhunters of Texas the opportunity to experience the ambiance of the Hill Country shoot.

Now as a newbie to traditional I have a question on this elevated rest issue, if there is no advantage to having a elevated rest other than to have the opportunity to shoot vanes, then why all the sudden push to allow elevated rest on traditional equipment?...I can see an advantage if it is raining..wet feather
                The flippers and especially the springys with buttons are much easier to tune and more forgiving than shooting off the shelf.. that's why they were invented..

Comment

Originally posted by JAVI View Post
                  The flippers and especially the springys with buttons are much easier to tune and more forgiving than shooting off the shelf.. that's why they were invented..
                  Thanks for the insight Javi. I have so much to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by hodat1957 View Post
                    I hope to have more information Monday or Tuesday. Then I will post what I have learned
                    Thanks Bud!...Van

Comment

Originally posted by axisbuck24 View Post
                      then why all the sudden push to allow elevated rest on traditional equipment?...I can see an advantage if it is raining..wet feather
                      The sudden push is to stop letting people use them. For the last couple of years they have been allowed. 2 years ago it was voted on and made a rule, just not enforced till or mentioned till last week.I just set up a bow exactly like what I had seen last year at Hill Country.

I read the rules and interpreted them as rest were not mentioned. Another read the rules and interpreted that rest were included. I posed a question , got an answer, got an additional different answer and it snowballed.

I can and will setup my bow to shoot off the shelf and have absolutely no problem with it. It was all an interpretation issue on a very vague rule. The rule is crystal clear now and should be a non issue from now on.
                      Last edited by huntinpool; 03-19-2011, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Chris, since you asked here are my suggestions:
                        I personally would prefer to have the larger traditional shoots function similar to the large jamborees in the northeast. They are more of gatherings surrounded around a 3D shoot. You pay your money to shoot the course, lest we forget that most of our money goes to replacing targets not purchasing awards. No classes, everyone brings the bow they enjoy. I have never cared much for wasting half a day sitting in the sun waiting for all of the scores to be turned in so I can get a belt buckle that I am going to throw in a drawer anyhow.

If you are going to have a tournament format, list the rules for each class on the entry form, this means that everyone receives and signs the same set of rules. Make sure that the stake color and corresponding classes are listing in the registration area and at the first target on each course.

While you are adding rules, you may want to address:

Clickers, stabilizers, binoculars, shooting a second arrow at the same target, discussing yardage during the tournament, face walking and string walking, and how mulligans are to be handled.

Comment

Bud,

Following is a picture of the rest on my recurve. It is a hoyt stick on rest that I have covered in moleskin. I know that Josh (4feathers) shoot s the same setup, as I am sure others do. I bring this up so that it may assist you in clarifying the rules.

I have always shot tournaments with my hunting setup. When it is time to hunt I just unscrew my field tips and screw in my broadheads. With this bow I never had an issue getting field tips to fly, however I had trouble with my broadheads. I put the rest on and now both my fieldtips and broadheads fly great. So in my case the “elevated/mechanical” rest made me a more efficient hunter.

Yall need to make the rules that are in the best interest of the club as a whole, not based on the squeaky wheels. If yall decide that off the shelf is the way to go, then so be it. As with Sha I just request that whatever is decided is clear and is either enforced across the board, or not at all.

Comment

Originally posted by huntinpool View Post
                            The sudden push is to stop letting people use them. For the last couple of years they have been allowed. 2 years ago it was voted on and made a rule, just not enforced till or mentioned till last week.I just set up a bow exactly like what I had seen last year at Hill Country
                            Got it.
                            Last edited by axisbuck24; 03-19-2011, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Comment

Adding classes adds expense and puts an extra work load on already overworked people. It seems like the only way to satisfy everyone, tho. I strongly agree about changing the people you shoot with. If you shoot with the same people every time and you shoot high scores there will almost always be uncharitable talk. I know several people that this has happened to. Arvin and I usually only shoot 1 or 2 rounds together. If new classes are added expect shoot fees to increase. They will have to.
                                Deb

It will put more work but could well be worth it in the end. There is no doubt a new direction that the bows are headed in with carbon inserts, arrow rests, sites, and adjustable limbs and tillers. There will always be the "bare bows", which is where I will remain but there is a whole other genre of Olympic/JOAD/NFAA/and TFAA shooters that could help with the membership issue with TBoT.

I have attended a NFAA shoot and was floored when a shooter in our group told me this was a recurve...

If TBoT is hurting for membership, there is a whole other genre of shooters that TBoT could recruit to help their membership grow and to embrace the new generation of recurve shooters. The time is now for TBoT to create a modern class and let them shoot and rig out their bows to their hearts content. They will compete against one another and the rest will shoot where we have always shot...bare bow. TBoT will benefit, the increase in membership will increase, and the shoots will only get larger and greater. Keep the bare bow class though...that's where I belong

I look forward to participating in this discussion at vanderpool. This is just my opinion but we need to think outside the box on this and grow as the technology grows...It's a win, win...

Comment

Working...
                                X