Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What caliber next?

Consider the following:

Savage long action, currently 30/06, but that's irrelevant since bolt heads can be swapped easy.

If you could build any caliber you wanted (that will run in that action) what would it be and why? Easy wildcats included such as AI's, simple neck down or neck up. Also assume you already have a 223 Remington, 243 Winchester, 6.5-300WSM, 7mm Rem Mag, 308 Winchester.

Was thinking about a 25-06AI, 6.5-284 Norma, 6.5-06AI. What other suggestions you guys have?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

7mm-08?

Comment

Good call, but why not 280? I mean, I've got a long action, why not use all of it?

Comment

270 or 338-06?

Comment

Originally posted by txfireguy2003 View Post
          Good call, but why not 280? I mean, I've got a long action, why not use all of it?

I see where you are coming from, the swing factor me would be the availability of ammo around these parts. I don't see much 280.

Comment

Originally posted by .270 View Post
            I see where you are coming from, the swing factor me would be the availability of ammo around these parts. I don't see much 280.
            Yeah, I can see that for sure, but since I reload and rarely but factory ammo, that's not a huge issue.

Comment

6.5-284, a lot of people at the ranch have them and are stretching them out a good ways

Comment

280ai

Comment

338/06 AI. Because you don't have a thumper in your stable. I'm saving my Savage 30.06 for exactly that caliber, but shoots so well in 30.06 that I can't bring myself to convert it just yet.

Comment

30-06

Comment

Originally posted by bluelund79 View Post
                      338/06 AI. Because you don't have a thumper in your stable. I'm saving my Savage 30.06 for exactly that caliber, but shoots so well in 30.06 that I can't bring myself to convert it just yet.
                      Hmmm, but then, I'd have to buy another silencer....an expensive one too....to run those monsters. I don't really shoot rifles without the can anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by 160class View Post
                        6.5-284, a lot of people at the ranch have them and are stretching them out a good ways
                        That or a 6.5 saum

edit: though that'd be SA
                        Last edited by sir shovelhands; 09-17-2016, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
                          30-06
                          I'm converting away from this, I just don't care for it. It and the 270, fit some reason, I just don't care for. I guess I'm that weird guy in camp that always has to show up with something you've never seen before, and maybe never heard of.

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
                            That or a 6.5 saum

edit: though that'd be SA
                            I'm having a 6.5WSM built as we speak. Should do everything the SAUM will, maybe a tiny bit more, maybe not. I anticipate a killing machine.

Comment

Well... since you already have the 6.5-300 and the 6.5WSM, another 6.5 either makes perfect sense or no sense, depending on how you look at it. You already have your bases very well covered with your caliber selection, so I feel like it's just down to what you WANT. I personally want a 280AI, but a 6.5x284 Norma is also on the list. That 25-06AI would be a nice addition to your collection as well, since you didn't list a quarter bore. Man that's a tough decision.

Comment

Working...
                              X