Lake Travis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lake Travis

Travis is up more than 10' over the past 3 days.

I'm trying to figure out how they're saying it's only going to rise another 10' with all the flood waters coming in.

I know it holds a lot of water but just the Llano is going to be pouring in 280k CFS soon. And all the flood gates are already open at Max Starke. Hmmm

The LCRA is usually dead on though.. I hope they're right this time. I predict Lake Travis is full or up another 20' in 3 days.

Comment

Lake Travis

The fuller a lake gets the wider the area it fills. Think of it like the letter V. So not only are you talking about a vertical 10 foot, you have to compensate for the larger wider surface area that 10’ covers compared to the previous 10’ and more.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
        The fuller a lake gets the wider the area it fills. Think of it like the letter V. So not only are you talking about a vertical 10 foot, you have to compensate for the larger wider surface area that 10’ covers compared to the previous 10’ and more.
        Your user name is perfect.

Comment

Ahh hell....

Comment

I understand all the math. But 280K plus CFS is a crazy unimaginable amount of water that will be coming in soon.

We shall see. I still say the lake is full in 3 days. Or above full

Comment

Lake Travis

Just got a message that there is a barge loose on LBJ and for those below the dam to prepare for it to be damaged

Comment

I don't remember the exact numbers but I read somewhere when Lake Travis is full that the top few feet. I don't remember the exact number it was less than 10. Had the same amount of water as the rest of the lake.

Comment

Travis is up over 1' in the past 2 hours.

672.29 at 9am

Comment

Lake Travis

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                    Ahh hell....

You’d be surprised how many folks think a lake is like pool[emoji23]

Comment

Lake Travis

Originally posted by nativeaustin View Post
                      I don't remember the exact numbers but I read somewhere when Lake Travis is full that the top few feet. I don't remember the exact number it was less than 10. Had the same amount of water as the rest of the lake.

Ive heard the same on many lakes.... especially up here in North Texas and out west where there aren’t as many hills and the lay is flatter.

Comment

Originally posted by nativeaustin View Post
                        Yeah, it takes a lot to fill those last few because the Lake fans way out so there is a whole lot more water as you reach the top.

Comment

Mansfield/Travis Oct 16 2018 9:15AM 672.58 492.27 Oct 16 2018 9:14AM No gate operations to pass floodwaters are expected at Mansfield Dam at this time.

.3' in the last 15 minutes.

Makes me want to drive down to the lake and watch the water rise LOL

Comment

When we had our big flood last May, Norfork went up 25’ overnight and Bull Shoals was recieving 1,000,000 cfs.

It’s hard to imagine what it would be like down stream without the lakes that we have. The management of the lakes is pretty fascinating. Travis is doing its job.

Land Development and...climate differences...have led to some really destructive weather.

Comment

Now they are finally saying Travis will fill up. And they may have to open floodgates on Travis "soon"

That's what I figured.

Mansfield/Travis Oct 16 2018 9:30AM 672.86 492.24 Oct 16 2018 9:14AM No gate operations to pass floodwaters are expected at Mansfield Dam at this time.

Comment

Working...
                              X